Hobart C64A Conveyor Drive Assembly

Anyone ever rebuilt one of these?

Name:  conveyor drive assembly.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  72.3 KB

If so, any words of wisdom?
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

I have rebuilt several. Not really that hard or complicated. Do you have questions?

Smile

Okay, stick with all stainless steel bolts,nuts washers etc. I found using nuts with nylon keeper inserts keeps the bearing tower from vibrating loose. If the sheet metal the tower bolts to is warped; you need to flatten it back out. The set screw supplied by Hobart to hold the top arm on has a bad habit of coming loose. Seems to depend on the store as some operators aren't very careful and cause conveyor jams more than others. I have used two short SS set screws one behind the other to stop the arm coming loose. The second screw holds the first and since it sets in the top of the first screw it stays tight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by crymtide View Post
    I have rebuilt several. Not really that hard or complicated. Do you have questions?
    Thanks for replying!

I guess my biggest concern is removing the old bearings and seals, and installing the new bearings and seals. Are they difficult to removed and/or install? I've never rebuilt one, so I don't want to damage the new seals. They're $41 each.

Are you buying new bearings and seals from Hobart? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up costing near as much as the whole assembly. I mostly just kept a new tower in the truck as I didn't have the time to rebuild it. Also bearings and seals are pretty much all the same just keep things clean and be careful.

Thanks again for the reply!

Yes, everything is from Hobart Houston. The assembly is ~$430 and, in all honesty, I'd rather just buy the assembly. In fact, the Hobart parts guy I talked to told me the exact same thing. However, I priced each component and the total cost came to ~$240 and that includes a couple of items not included with the assembly (crank arm, slider and gasket). Plus, after I do this dishwasher, I have another one to do. So, that's a significant savings, especially when I have a limited parts budget. I work for a school district and things are pretty tight.

Hey, I really appreciate your help! Thanks a lot.

Smile

FYI Use a food grade anti seize on reassembly and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble on the next rebuild.

Will do. Thanks again!