Hello all, I'm new here - looks like a great forum, so I hope you'll entertain my question.

I previously owned a late-80's split level with a heat pump. The air handler was a York and the actual heat pump was a Tappan. About a year after moving in, I installed a top of the line Honeywell programmable thermostat that was advertised to be compatible with heat pumps and "hybrid" systems (heat pumps w/ conventional systems as backup). Although it cost me about $100, it seemed well worth it. After installing it myself, I had a local HVAC company inspect it and the technician indicated that it was a very good unit and much better than some of the cheaper alternatives out there. The thermostat worked wonderfully and did not require any batteries. I was extremely pleased with it the entire time I owned the house.

So, when I purchased a new home, my first instinct was to look at a Honeywell thermostat to control the conventional, Carrier natural gas furnace / central AC system (the home was built in '99 and the system is original to the house). My only problem it seems is that Honeywell has revamped their entire line since I was last in the market for one of these things. I would like a 7-day unit and preferrably one that doesn't require batteries. I was looking at the Honeywell RTH7500D, but that doesn't appear to meet my battery requirement. I may also eventually have the system converted over to a "hybrid" system in the future, so I'd like something that can handle a dual-stage setup.

I'm hoping one of you has had a similiar experience and might be able to make a recommendation. I'm open to any brand, including something that is exclusively professionally installed. Also, I should probably mention that the existing Carrier thermostat is electronic, but not programmable - not sure if that makes any difference.

Honeywell

Focus Pro 8000 series. Will handle dual fuel.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Re: Honeywell

Originally posted by selfemployed
    Awesome, thanks for the recommendation and quick response.

Re: Honeywell

I believe it is Vision Pro 8000
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Re: Re: Honeywell

Originally posted by redhawk
    I believe it is Vision Pro 8000
    OOps my bad. Thanks

Re: Re: Honeywell

Originally posted by cwa107
    What is the triggering mechanism for your backup? Do you know?

Re: Re: Re: Honeywell

Originally posted by seatonheating
    Originally posted by cwa107
    What is the triggering mechanism for your backup? Do you know?
    Currently, there is only a conventional, natural gas furnace & central air. But I want to make sure the thermostat can handle a dual-stage system in case I decide to upgrade later on.

VisionPro 8000 series

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/69-1706.pdf

Page 19, special heat pump features. Requires outdoor sensor.

cwa107 - By dual stage I take it you mean dual fuel as in heat pump with gas heat back-up.

Re: VisionPro 8000 series

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/69-1706.pdf

Page 19, special heat pump features. Requires outdoor sensor.

cwa107 - By dual stage I take it you mean dual fuel as in heat pump with gas heat back-up.
    Exactly. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology - I just want to make sure that the thermostat is "future-proof".

Although the weather in my area can vary very widely, I found that in my last home the heat pump was very efficient for 85% of the cold weather months - and during that time, it was very cost-effective. So, although the new house is much larger (2200 sq. ft compared to 1400 in the old home), I'm thinking I may eventually have a heat pump installed as primary heat source and use the existing gas furnace as backup for the 10-15% of the year that I might need it (if that's possible).

Again, thanks for entertaining the question, I respect and appreciate your professional insight and suggestions.