Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just to be clear...

I am stating that a homeowner should maintain all their appliances according to the manufacture's recommendations. In the case of my own fireplace, that means I can do most of the maintenance myself.

If I had to choose which appliances and systems I hired a pro to inspect and maintain, a gas fireplace would be near the bottom of the list. Certainly behind the electrical wiring, and behind other gas appliances. A car would be #1 on the list.

Wow, what a myopic view of the world. Yes, there are plenty of people who get their BBQs and gas luminaires serviced annually. Yes, BBQs do not have a flame safeguard required and yes, they can be hazardous and do have a high number of incidents and fires attributed to them. That's why they are relegated to outdoors, where it's harder to burn the house down or kill people but not impossible.

Your analogy about the car doesn't apply here. There is maintenance that does affect the function of the appliance's safety. There are things that a professional should inspect and test annually because they can and do fail over time.

I said you can shutoff a fireplace because it is non-essential to the house. You're being silly with your list of things to shutoff which shows how unreasonable you are being.

A homeowner can change a furnace filter but they are not qualified to inspect or test the system, which is the most important function of an annual service--not the janitorial duties. As for calling for service only when the homeowner suspects a problem, who is more qualified to suspect and diagnose a problem-the untrained lay public or a trained, experienced technician?

I find your attitude and points doing a dis-service to the unwitting public as you are trying to instill a level of callouseness that is not warranted but rather could put someone in danger. BTW, some mfrs. do recommend professional annual service and not just for proper ember placement and sooting is an operational problem for most fireplaces that should trigger professional service. I think you need to focus your energies in fields you are competent in and leave those you obviously have little experienec or knowledge in to those who do. Thank you.

Thats all and fine for your life Mr. Knapp, just keep your views and hopefully no one gets hurt or property gets damaged from giving such good advice.

No one is promoting selling industry pushed products or services, were just trying to help someone by giving them the correct information relating to their product that we happen to be servicing, cleaning, and maintaining on a daily basis.

Does my boss ask me to push product? No

Do I do my best to keep existing systems operation and performing at lowest cost possible but safest? Yes

I have 30,000 in student loans, still attending another college program related to the Heating and Air conditioning field and all signs would point to gouge customers to make more money and sell product and push service intervals but Mr. Knapp, we as blue collar professionals are your neighbors and more than likely are working just to get by like everyone else. The right way in most cases. The last thing in my mind is to induce some cost to someone because in my mind, majority of the time role reverse before I have to explain to a customer what part is faulty and how much its going to cost. Because sometimes it does cost alot to keep a machine maintained no bones about it, so I go about it in the best and smartest way, not sell them outta their socks.

I do that because like said above times are tough but letting things go that can actually cost you more down the line or unfortunately harm people or property in some cases. I also try to educate them on the hows and whys and what nots to prevent if possible from spending extra cash on parts, extra service calls etc..

Its just not right to put wrong information out there even though you may live by that. Case in point there was a large amount of parents in southern california pushing people not to take immunizations, before that almost 80-90 % if not more of the kids in school were getting them in schools preschool, kindergarten etc..

its called herd immunity. well a well know actor, a doctor, and his celebrity GF were pushing parents to stop getting their mandated immunizations based on some faulty information, many people they came across did infact stop giving their children these life saving shots. What occurred was many dieseases that where all thought gone started popping up because these people decided to act on faulty information and advice.

As a result, "we are starting to see a breakdown of herd immunity in these places; we have had outbreaks of measles, mumps, and Hib disease in the last year, and we are seeing increasing numbers of people infected with pertussis (also known as whooping cough). As these diseases take hold in unvaccinated pockets of individuals locally, it will be difficult to prevent them from wider spread throughout entire regions and states."

This ain't wall street, and no one is pushing pies around here so just accept my words with some pink himalayan sea salt (which is great on ribeyes) I will get off the soap box now and understand it may seem like overkill mentioning the above Mr. Knapp but information is information and advice is advice and it can have repercussions that we may or may not have comtemplated.

You and the rest have a cool one BLT time.

Wow! I'm not sure how you straw-man'ed my specific advice about following the manufacture's recommended maintenance for my fireplace, into something about me wanting to ban immunizations?!?? What are you talking about? The last thing I want a HVAC contractor to lecture me on is immunizations. Thanks, but I'll let my doctor tell me whether or not I need a flu shot or measles shot. (And I'll let my fireplace manufacturer tell me what servicing I require.)

But thanks for the advice anyway, doc.

Wow is all I can say

I'd tell you soot isn't from embers but you knew that right.

Gas pressure might need checked but you knew that right.

Something about air and gas might need to be checked but again I'm sure you knew that.

But seeing as you know more then the pros and won't spring for service for your fireplace it will keep showing you signs of a problem but you'll just "service" it yourself until it finally quits or hurts someone. Hopefully the safeties that I'm sure you check properly(not) shut it down first. Good luck

The field mice is fast, but the owl see at night.

No Mr. Knapp,

Not a doctor. Just a case in point.

But if I was your doctor, you probably wouldn't listen to my advice anyways(;

Gas fireplaces differ in their construction and operation. The newer styles with electronic ignition, power venting, and variable blowers do require maintenance or they typically stop working! As for the money aspect there are many items in a fireplace that can have a longer life span when cleaned and lubricated, blowers for example. A new blower installed in a fireplace at our company cost appr. $, annual servicing is appr. $ and I garantee the blower will last longer when serviced as mine is 25 years old and purrs like a kitten!(well almost). But we all know that very few people are proactive when maintenance is required (including me!!) but we should all be aware of the somtimes very real consiquences of not having things maintained. Pay me now or pay me later, I would prefer later as it usually is a bigger bill.........lol.

No pricing per site rules please.

Thanks,

Mod
    Last edited by k-fridge; 08-20-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Pricing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12