Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Was that the red Toyota or green Prestone coolant?

Originally posted by leapfrog
    Was that the red Toyota or green Prestone coolant?
    The green stuff... but I might've put it in the brake reservoir by accident.

The guy's on his way over right now. Anything in particular I should ask him about? Making sure stage 2 is actually engaging? Is it possible that new lower cfm setting is to blame? Any take on the fact that he added (REFRIGERANT) even though he was lowering top fan speed?

Anything else I should keep in mind as he looks it over?

Ask him to go into advance set up , and see what the CPH (cycles per hour) is at for BOTH stages.

I'd move the 2nd stage to 2 and leave 1st at 3

He's outside right now. He's saying it's that the stat is in the wrong place, on wall that's garage on other side. portable stat reading is 3 or so degrees warmer there. He thinks that's the issue, but...

... well, I'm thinking that may be true, but how does that explain system fan speed dropping when it's still off of it's target? Something else must be wrong.

He did set cfm back to "normal" 400 setting, said something about "enhance" I didn't understand. He said at first that I shouldn't expect system to cool down properly if I had dropped fan speed.

Originally posted by mayguy
    Ask him to go into advance set up , and see what the CPH (cycles per hour) is at for BOTH stages.

I'd move the 2nd stage to 2 and leave 1st at 3

He says that will only keep stage 2 from engaging again within the timeframe, but won't keep it from shutting down prematurely... and he thinks it's just the handler that's been cycling up and down, and not stage 2 on the compressor dropping out. We did at least verify that stage 2 is working. It's on right now.

He's now bleeding freon. He says it's overcharged. This seems so backward to me. Shouldn't the guy who brought the fan speed down have been bleeding it if anything? Shouldn't this guy have been recharging it if anything? Yet they both did the opposite.

The CFM setting is a function of the requirements of the Manual J calculation and the Manual D design output. What do they say about the CFM per room, and the total CFM?

Bleeding freon? R-22? You mean he's reclaiming it into a reclamation system, right? Not venting it to the air?

ithinktherefore wrote:
    >He's now bleeding freon. He says it's overcharged. This seems so backward to me.

I'll be looking for NBC6 or WSVN reporting on the "big explosion" next .. ducking..

EPA:
    It is illegal under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act to knowingly vent refrigerants during any service, maintenance, repair or disposal of an appliance.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/enforce/ComplaintForm.pdf

I have no Idea guys. I'm not looking over his shoulder or anything. I just know he said it was overcharged and he was going to have to take some out. I have no Idea how or to where.

Does his comment about the cph sound right? Also, regardless of how far off the temp reading is at the stat, shouldn't it chug along 'till it hits bullseye? Two separate issues, right?

Either way, do I need to do something about the location of the stat? Will it help to have him just cork the hole with the wires coming out?

Originally posted by ithinktherefore
    regardless of how far off the temp reading is at the stat, shouldn't it chug along 'till it hits bullseye?
    Yes.

Originally posted by leapfrog
    The CFM setting is a function of the requirements of the Manual J calculation and the Manual D design output. What do they say about the CFM per room, and the total CFM?
    I don't even know what that means. No one has said anything resembling any part of these two sentences... only that it needed to go down because it was too loud or needed to go up because it wasn't cooling enough.

Is there something specific I should be asking?

I asked him if comfor R is enabled. He has no idea what comfort R is. He said last guy not only dropped cfm's but put it on "enhanced" which ramps right up withoug the delay at lower speeds. He says he resed this to normal which has 90 second delay.

Is this ringing any bells with anyone?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast