Thread: Outside unit won't turn off....

Post Likes
    Just happened last night. The outside unit apparentley just kept running. Shut off the ststem from the thermostat....disconnected the thermostat...still running...finally shut off the power to the unit.

It still comes on as soon as power is restored even though the thremostat is disconnected....

Thanks

Post Likes
    Could be a number of things; contactor stuck closed, low voltage wire problem, either way this is something you dont want to be messing with. Time to call a pro. In the mean time, hook the t-stat back up, and just turn the power off to the system when home is cool.

Post Likes
    kick it!

Really! I had a customer that would go outside a kick the unit to shut it down! It worked! He didn't need me... he needed a boot!

just turn the power off to the system

At least to the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Ditto what Rick says. If it's a contactor a sharp rap to the condensor case may well shut it down. This is one of the very few circumstances where a bit of "percussive maintenance" can do the job, if only temporarily.

Mine did this a number of years ago and I replaced the contactor. It did it again this spring and I gave it a good whack, just with my fist - I'm not sure I'd go so far as to kick something with thin copper lines and high pressure gas...

I added "contactor - maybe a bigger / better one this time" to my to do list, but it has behaved ever since.

DO NOT keep operating this condenser - get somone in to service it. Lethal voltages lie therein. In addition, a compressor running without an evaporator providing load can die of severe liquid inhalation. That repair bill will almost certainly contain a comma.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. Brother in law diagnosed as a sticky 24v contactor and that was it. Running OK now but putting in a new one tomorrow....

Thanks

Post Likes
    Use a solid state relay for increased reliability.

Post Likes
    "percussive maintenance" LOL

I call it the "Fonzarelli Technique" and it applies to so many repairs.
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

Post Likes
    Hey guys, you're giving away all the 'trade secrets!' Kinda like 'rebooting' a computer. lol.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Post Likes
    I always refered to it as Emergency Repair Procedure #1. If it doesn't work, find someone with a bigger foot. LOL
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by John Lloyd
    Hey guys, you're giving away all the 'trade secrets!' Kinda like 'rebooting' a computer. lol.
    I'd like to re-BOOT this computer with my size 10 at times.

As far as trade secrets goes, notice I said nothing about the wonders of duct tape and scrap ductboard...oops!
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cr107
    Just happened last night. The outside unit apparentley just kept running. Shut off the ststem from the thermostat....disconnected the thermostat...still running...finally shut off the power to the unit.

It still comes on as soon as power is restored even though the thremostat is disconnected....

Thanks

This is Turtle.

Stuck Contactors !

TURTLE

Post Likes
    Originally posted by John Lloyd
    Kinda like 'rebooting' a computer. lol.
    Reminds me of one of my favorite tech support articles ever.. the official Apple "whack your monitor" knowledgebase entry:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58272
    If your display is exhibiting visible thin vertical lines, you can most often break the adhesion between the grid wires by using the heel of your hand to moderately impact the side of your display under the Apple logo on the right, then left side. Using moderate force does not damage your display.

To avoid scratching or marring the external plastics, remove any jewelry or watches before you tap the display.
    Kinda funny how indirect they are about saying "The official fix for this problem is to hit it", but that's what they mean.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in