Upgrade from Trane XB13 to XB14 worth it?

My electricity rates are between 2.9-5.9 cts/kwh and current central air is 2.5 ton 8.2 SEER over 25+ years old in a 1200 sq ft house in Illinois with old windows (in process of replacing). I have decided on a company and product however if I upgrade to the XB14, I can get a utility rebate. With the rebate, the cost isn't much more... about equivalent of 2-3 months utility bills. I'm trying to determine how much more efficient the XB14 is over the XB13 though. The Trane website isn't of much help aside from an extra 1/2" or so of orange bar next to "efficiency" lol. They do say the XB14 is energy star rated and the XB13 isn't.

Any help with this one?

Thanks!
    Curtis

The effeiceincy of the XB-13 or 14 is going to depend on the indoor coil and blower it is paired with. If you can save enough to pay the difference in a couple of months doesn't it make sense to spend the extra? Once the extra is paid for isn't it savings after that?

Well that's the issue, I don't know if I would save enough to pay the difference, or if I do, how long it would take. Because I have no idea what the efficiency difference is between the XB13 and XB14. The couple months of payments is about how much extra it will cost to do the upgrade, not some calculated amount of what I'll save with the 14 over the 13. Trane classifies the 14 as "high efficiency" and the 13 as "standard efficiency". I'm sure over my current setup, the difference will be huge either way. If the savings is only $5/month in electric and it could take me 5 years to realize a savings (calculated at $5/mo) then it's not really worth it to me. The installing company did say that the XB14 would require a "special" Trane A coil installed and that's included in the price difference. The furnace is a Trane EX90.

Did they do a load calc? I use Wrightsuite and when I give the customer the price I also give them the operating cost comparison. This at least gives them a good estimate to make a comparison on.

ON a rule of thumb basis I have always been told that you will see about a 10% savings on each SEER point you go up. Having said that, if the system is inproperly installed, you may not get the SEER it is rated for.

They did a load calc but never really gave me a difference. They just specified a setup for replacement. I have emailed them about their recommendations on upgrading and if it's worth the difference in price. Awaiting a reply.

With the current furnace, a XB14 and coil gains you 1/2 SEER to 1 SEER point. At your teeny electric rates, that's almost no savings. Unless the rebate covers the cost of the upgrade, probably save so little there's no point to it. That electric rate is obscenely low. With 7-8 cent juice and similar climate, we used to say you'd save $4 per point per ton. So going 13 to 14 at 2.5 tons saved $10 a year. Figure how much more the XB14 is and see how long the payback is.

1200 Sq ft house in Illinois with new windows and if decent insulation probably needs a 2 ton. Did they really do a load calc or are they just putting back what you have? Bigger is not better, especially as you improve on the home.

There isn't a big difference in price between the XB13 and 14 outdoor units, but there can be a very significant difference in the total system price if the XB14 quote also is with an upgraded indoor unit.
    At your current electric rates, 1/2 to 1 SEER difference would probably not even be noticeable on your bill...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

They initially quoted for a 2 ton but I have a full basement and told them I plan to install a patio door and do a walk out basement in the near future so they recommended to stick with the 2.5 ton.

Curtis