+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The mighty Variable Speed Shop Cooler STILL LIVES!!!

Post Likes

Remember this thing???

It was put to good use yesterday!

Got home around 4:30 in the 108 degree Arizona afternoon. Decided to fix my work van Friday night rather than wake up Saturday and do it.

You can see it also doubled as a place holder for some sockets and such. And in this picture, the water pump I just removed was under it proping it up to the correct angle I wanted

The Motor is STILL holding up to the mist of water spraying behind it.

Now the REAL fun...

Deep down under this, there is a water pump and it was leaking badly lately. Having to fill it daily with water.

For me, it's easier to fix it myself, than move into a TEMP vehicles for a few days, then move BACK into the fixed vehicle.

Besides, I've "Got the tools to do the job!"

NO BOLT is too small for the good ol' impact and many extensions!!!!

Ah yes. There we go. Got the new pump installed.

Now I wont have to watch my temp gauge climb to 260 on the HOT days when it starts to run out of water!

I also had to change out a bad starter. It was banging the starter gear against the flywheel ever since I got this van. What a noise that made!!!

Anyway. The Van is back in good order. And my Variable Speed Shop Cooler is still working!

Post Likes
    I did'nt pect the motor of the FPGCS [famous Payson Garage Cooling System ] to hold that long
    Good onyou!

But how is the R.H.holding does it reach 90%?

[Edited by dutchcool on 06-03-2006 at 05:12 PM]
    .................................................. ......................
    ---------Holland aint flat !!! it is hollow !----------- first thing my mommy told me was : learn to swim

Post Likes
    90% RH is that the 90% sweat running off your balls while you do your wife's sister, or 100% sweat while doing 90% of the sisters?

Post Likes
    The R.H. has been between 10% and 15% recently, so evap type cooling actually works!

In late July and August the trusty shop cooler will not do much but blow warm/muggy air I'm afraid.

That is until I save up a BUNCH of recovered refer, and then simply let that loose through the mister nozzles making some cool air LOL!!!!!

Ah, Just kidding

As for the van. I wont really test that until Monday.

But I was a mechanic for a spell before I got into HVAC. So I think I got that covered too

Post Likes

Chevy Van

What a mess.

Post Likes
    Yeah. But it's still ticking at 155k miles.

I got the oldest one I think.

Post Likes

Re: Chevy Van

Originally posted by James 3528
    What a mess.
    As if a Ford van is any easier.All vans suck to work on unless it's a tilt cab. By the way I "love" your extension set for going around corners. Also have you ever had that little stool slip out from underneath you and your stomach end up being gorged by the hood saftey latch?
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Post Likes

dutchcool

That looks like a 1950's or early 1960's Studebaker Lark

Post Likes

Re: dutchcool

Originally posted by ct2
    Well thats a nice PROJECT ! never to big fror Mr Energy Payson if it was his .He would be done with this sucker in a fortnight

[Edited by dutchcool on 06-04-2006 at 06:56 PM]
    ---------Holland aint flat !!! it is hollow !----------- first thing my mommy told me was : learn to swim

Post Likes

Re: Re: dutchcool

Originally posted by dutchcool
    Originally posted by ct2
    Well thats a nice PROJECT ! never to big fror Mr Energy Payson if it was his .He would be done with this sucker in a fortnight
    I wouldn't wait much longer to fix that Studebaker. It looks like the windshield is even starting to rust.

Post Likes

Re: Re: Chevy Van

Originally posted by mcr
    What a mess.
    As if a Ford van is any easier.All vans suck to work on unless it's a tilt cab. By the way I "love" your extension set for going around corners. Also have you ever had that little stool slip out from underneath you and your stomach end up being gorged by the hood saftey latch?

HA HA no. I was very careful on the stool.

And I used them several socket extensions to reach the bolts holding the two sections of fan shroud together. But thought it made a nice picture for you guys LOL!

That stool is actually a fold up that I carry and use when I'm working on condensers on the sides of houses so I don't have to sit on my knees or my arse.

I hope to be one HVAC guy who don't retire with bad knees or blood clots

Tomorrow I will drive the van and see if it sealed proper. Once I shoved the water pump in position, it was hard to see if the gaskets were straight, etc. I used Ultra Blue RTV, so all should be ok

Post Likes
    I love permatex or that other red sticky sh_t for auto gaskets. I used it to seal rocker cover gaskets on my bonneville - leaked oil but afterwards 6 years later no leaks - secondly you can stick the gasket on and it won't move while you assemble the part onto the engine
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes

Re: Re: Re: Chevy Van

Originally posted by PaysonHVAC
    Originally posted by mcr
    What a mess.

HA HA no. I was very careful on the stool.

And I used them several socket extensions to reach the bolts holding the two sections of fan shroud together. But thought it made a nice picture for you guys LOL!

That stool is actually a fold up that I carry and use when I'm working on condensers on the sides of houses so I don't have to sit on my knees or my arse.

I hope to be one HVAC guy who don't retire with bad knees or blood clots

Tomorrow I will drive the van and see if it sealed proper. Once I shoved the water pump in position, it was hard to see if the gaskets were straight, etc. I used Ultra Blue RTV, so all should be ok
    I have a stool like that one to, it is worth a million.
    My kids gave it to me, because i am always complaining about my bad knees.[ Meniscus, twice the right, left one is commin ]
    The stool can hold 150kg = 330 of your unit

Post Likes
    Know exactly what you mean about moving out of your vehicle!

I've gotta figure out an engine light (MIL) on mine before tag renewal time. Good thing it's a Ford cause I can plug it into the laptop & do some monitoring.

Pls post a pic of said stool.
    I was sitting on my little folding ladder last week & it re-folded & dumped me onto the floor.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ladyfire3374

I've gotta figure out an engine light (MIL) on mine before tag renewal time. Good thing it's a Ford cause I can plug it into the laptop & do some monitoring.

I was sitting on my little folding ladder last week & it re-folded & dumped me onto the floor.

Oh my dear Lord! A Ford with a problem! Heavens no!

Post Likes
    I think its time to get a chainsaw and cut the roots loose on that Studebaker!

Post Likes
    Well. I drove the van today. No loud ticking from that old starter. And I didn't see any water leaking. Today was HOT breaking the 110 degree mark in some places and tghe temp gauge never got near 210 degrees

Good thing I flushed out all that stop leak before I added the new coolant.

Originally posted by ladyfire3374

That be the stool.

It folds up small and has a handle. I can carry it and a small tool bag in one hand.

Maybe I will remember to take a close up of it.

I buy them at Ace Hardware. ABout $15

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in