Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R Mannino View Post
    As long as the structure heats ok now, the boiler can NEVER deliver more than the baseboard can. Having a boiler sized larger than the delivery system can support is pointless. You can have a very large engine in your car, but without traction what's the point?
    280 ft enough for a b-4 or b-5?

well it could be just over that but about 280 ft.

As long as the structure heats ok now, the boiler can NEVER deliver more than the baseboard can. Having a boiler sized larger than the delivery system can support is pointless. You can have a very large engine in your car, but without traction what's the point?
    thinking about this. usually dont notice. But.....We had a couple really cold nights i noticed the current boilers would run for like fourty minutes, shut off for like ten or fifteen, run another fourty minutes. shut off again for like ten or fifteen.

i noticed this because as i was sitting here listening to them runnin i was thinking of how much that oil was costing me.... the things. It was probably below zero those nights, or about zero degrees. i had the heat turned down to 62 at the time as well.

guess whats in the basement ?

i think im going to like this new hvac guy.

How About

Quote Originally Posted by bribrius View Post
    guess whats in the basement ?

i think im going to like this new hvac guy.
    A photograph

A photograph
    no. a b-5 lol

still trying to figure out what to put with it. But hey, its a start

Aquasmart?

They have an ODR module.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They have an ODR module.
    hmmm. its already in the chimney.
    hey, installer gave me a choice. i can keep the old boilers myself or he will take them, up to me i guess.

so one junk boiler, one working boiler, and a oil tank that has seen better days. Both boilers were from 1999 or 1998 and are dry based so only weigh a couple hundred lbs. a piece maybe.

scrap value? used furnace parts? any ideas?

Hate to junk a working boiler but...

maybe better off just letting him take the crap? He really doesnt seem to care either way.

In these parts steel is worth eight cents a pound, don't forget to pull the coil it's worth about a twenty spot.

In these parts steel is worth eight cents a pound, don't forget to pull the coil it's worth about a twenty spot.
    lol. if it isnt even going to be a hundred bucks ill let him take them. haha

i figured the burners and circulators would be worth something but i guess not.

hey, how much are heat pumps and cooling pumps for this freakn place?
    im thinking air to air.

Does a heat pump work when its zero degrees?

You have to pay a good buck to have a heat pump that will work well at 0F and it probably won't get better than 1.6 COP if you are lucky. They exist but to get any performance you have to be heating a floor system.

sigh.

right now im trying to figure out thermostats. A couple of them the boiler wouldnt read.
    it is outdoor reset, if that makes a difference.

installer said he is replacing them all for me, but i guess the new ones will be battery powered.

Good because he said i can lock the temperatures at the boiler. i have no idea i dont understand this he is showing me.

im just confused over the battery thermostat idea. They dont make thermostats that will link with the boiler that dont take batteries? i realize "that is how everything is going now" as he explained it. i just dont like the idea of a battery thermostat.

also thinking of putting a cover over the outdoor reset sensor. call be paranoid, i just dont want anyone screwing with the sensor.

three cheers for my new installer however. Everything looks really good so far.

With ODR you can set the curve so that the thermostat will never satisfy. They can press the button all day long but the house will only heat up to what the boiler temperature will make the house. With multiple zones some will satisfy and some will not, but you'll never be able to "overheat" the house. If there is a zone with marginal radiation installed it could be a problem(not enough heat), but that is not an everyday occurrence.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast