Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Is it not included in the bill of rights?
    Yep!!!!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

maybe they needed it for the 100,000 russian troops that will be in colorado in the next few months doing 'anti terrorist training'

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Guns are not only for protection. I live in one of the safest cities in America according to local news??? I own a few guns. I enjoy hunting and shooting recreationally. I'm not an NRA nut. Owning guns is a privelege, not a right. I believe that hunter education classes are good and people should be required to take them before owning a gun. Not only for their safety, but for mine and my family's safety.

Two questions;

1) How did you reach the conclusion that owning a firearm is a privledge and not a right?

2) What about membership in the NRA makes one a nut?

Hugh
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Two questions;

1) How did you reach the conclusion that owning a firearm is a privledge and not a right?

2) What about membership in the NRA makes one a nut?

Hugh
    Owning a gun is not a right. It is a privilege. I do not think that everybody is entitled to a gun that wants one. Not everybody has the capability to know how to use one safely as to not hurt somebody else. I've been around guns my entire life and have known several people that I would not be around who had one, I made this decision by being around them when they had one. That is where firearm eduation/training comes in. I was taught by my father who was an ex-Marine and showed us the proper way to do anything with a gun. I do not want myself or especially my family in danger because something who thinks it is a right to bear arms, goes to Walmart, buys one and accidentally kills somebody I care about. Period. I think you missed the context of which NRA is full of nuts. I was responding to the post ahead of mine regarding NRA nuts and gun ownership. Most are responsible people, but there are still some NRA nuts. Not everybody in the NRA is sane, sorry. You have to look at individual situations, you cannot lump everybody together.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

I know I will be flamed for this but I believe guns give us a false sense of security...a lot like cheap condoms.

For instance...someone is bragging about how easily they would shoot an intruder of their home, my question to them would be...have you ever shot a person before? If not how do you know you can pull the trigger...or how do you know you won't get over excited and shoot a family member instead?

I guess the situation could go any way...but without ever killing someone what do you think your odds are against a hardened criminal?

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I know I will be flamed for this but I believe guns give us a false sense of security...a lot like cheap condoms.

For instance...someone is bragging about how easily they would shoot an intruder of their home, my question to them would be...have you ever shot a person before? If not how do you know you can pull the trigger...or how do you know you won't get over excited and shoot a family member instead?

I guess the situation could go any way...but without ever killing someone what do you think your odds are against a hardened criminal?
    Actually the military had/has a problem with that during WWII era. Most soldiers wouldn't shoot somebody. They started this target training, whereas they would shoot at targets shaped like other soldiers, they would shoot at the targets. Desensitizing them. It would become automatic that when something popped up, they would instinctively shoot it. They would disassociate it with being a human.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

What are your odds against a hardened criminal?

Slim to none if you are unarmed and he/she is.

A few quotes to try and correct your progressive liberal train of thought:

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass. Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

seriously? Next time your out-n-about with a loved one (wife, GF, kids) and three or four gang bangers approach you and demand your money AND your companion ask yourself how secure you feel without a firearm.

Next time your sleeping quietly and securely in your bed and some drug addict breaks your front door down and your on the phone with a dispatcher waiting for the police to arrive, ask your self how secure you feel.

I know of NO ONE that WANTS to kill another human being. regardless of what you read in the media, gun owns are NOT a bunch of "shoot first and ask questions later" gang.

You may think that it never happens to YOU. Just last week I was going to PepBoys to get some 20amp mini fuses and a Black guy standing outside the building didn't like the way I pulled in to the parking lot, he actually threatened to "kill your white cracker a$$" (I have to admit, thats first time in 35 years anyone called me a cracker ) BUT I was carrying my Glock 22(concealed) I just looked and him and smiled and said "don't stand there, do it" he just stood there, I said "whatever dude" I went in the store before he could reply, he was gone 10 minutes later when I came out. Thank god. That scared the crap out of me, I was shaking like a leaf, would I have confronted him without my sidearm, absolutely. Im not going to let some scumbag, jerkweed threaten my life for any reason.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    What are your odds against a hardened criminal?

Slim to none if you are unarmed and he/she is.

A few quotes to try and correct your progressive liberal train of thought:

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass. Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam
    Never did I say people should not defend themselves, but you cannot deny that there are too many people relying on guns that do not have a clue as how to use them. All I'm saying is learn to use your mind and body first before relying on a tool.

Never did I say people should not defend themselves, but you cannot deny that there are too many people relying on guns that do not have a clue as how to use them. All I'm saying is learn to use your mind and body first before relying on a tool.
    ya, I agree, look how many people are behind the wheel of a car with no clue what they are doing, WITH TRAINING
    The Last four letters

any questions

Every CPL holder has to attend a class to learn how and when to use their firearm and under go a background check to make sure they do not have a mental illness or felonies or both.

You cant get rid of stupid though. As long as there has been people, there has been stupidity...the terms are synonymous.

Lawyers wouldn't have a job if it weren't for stupidity.

We wouldn't have Obama if it weren't for stupidity.

Liberals would have nothing to identify with if it weren't for stupidity.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Every CPL holder has to attend a class to learn how and when to use their firearm and under go a background check to make sure they do not have a mental illness or felonies or both.

You cant get rid of stupid though. As long as there has been people, there has been stupidity...the terms are synonymous.

Lawyers wouldn't have a job if it weren't for stupidity.

We wouldn't have Obama if it weren't for stupidity.

Liberals would have nothing to identify with if it weren't for stupidity.
    actually, that depends on the state and county you live in. Some state do not require a training session. Most counties in NYS DO NOT REQUIRE any training at all. Some counties around Albany, the judge makes people take a class before issuing a permit (this is one reason NYS is SNAFU'd and we have such archaic laws)

But I agree, ya can't fix stupid
    The Last four letters

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Owning a gun is not a right. It is a privilege. I do not think that everybody is entitled to a gun that wants one. Not everybody has the capability to know how to use one safely as to not hurt somebody else. I've been around guns my entire life and have known several people that I would not be around who had one, I made this decision by being around them when they had one. That is where firearm eduation/training comes in. I was taught by my father who was an ex-Marine and showed us the proper way to do anything with a gun. I do not want myself or especially my family in danger because something who thinks it is a right to bear arms, goes to Walmart, buys one and accidentally kills somebody I care about. Period. I think you missed the context of which NRA is full of nuts. I was responding to the post ahead of mine regarding NRA nuts and gun ownership. Most are responsible people, but there are still some NRA nuts. Not everybody in the NRA is sane, sorry. You have to look at individual situations, you cannot lump everybody together.
    In context of your opinion that gun ownership is not a right, how do you explain the Second Amendment? What is that all about?
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast