Hybrid View

Hi from Peoria, AZ

Hi all. Just a homeowner here in Peoria, AZ.

I'm trying to educate myself on all things HVAC, but it seems the more research I do, the more confused I become.

Hopefully that will change after reading through the info here.

Thanks!

Welcome lots of good info.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Welcome! What is your interest in hvac?

Quote Originally Posted by ironpit View Post
    Welcome! What is your interest in hvac?
    Thanks! We - my wife and I - may have to replace a couple of Aire-Flo heat pumps on a house we own, and are renting to our son and DIL.

The Aire-Flos, almost 6 years old, have been nothing but trouble. Currently, one of the units has lost all it's Freon, and the company we've been dealing with wants to charge what I think is WAY too much to fix. /end-whine

So right now I'm looking for brands to avoid, and brands to consider.

I've read here that the installation is as important as the equipment. And that sounds reasonable, but what can I do to ensure a good installation?

I have researched a couple of other companies, checked with the BBB, etc. And we're asking around for referrals. But what else can I do?

So that's my situation at the moment, and I do apologize for the whine.

Don't worry about the whine. We have in-house experts on whining on this site.
    It is difficult to insure a good install. Nobody wants a "homeowner" looking over their shoulder. Your best bet is to get three estimates and check references.

Don't be in a hurry to hire. go to the AOP section of this site and ask them.

Little things like purging with nitrogen before soldering, using line filters, pulling proper vacuums and doing positive pressure tests are critical to a good install.
    Go to AOP. Best place to go next. Good luck.