Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Does my Accumilator need a heater ?

10 glass door walk-in cooler , R22

Copeland Semi burnt out , was cheaper to install a Hermi , so thats what I did

I added an accumilator because the counter guys said everybody else does it ....

Question is , this winter when its 10 deg out , will my oil have trouble returning through the accum?

I've seen others with a belly band heater on it

PS ... if you are wondering why I added a suction , it was a Bad burnout
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've never seen a heater on one, be interesting to know if one is needed or not (heater on accumulator).
    What's wrong with replaceable suction filter? You can always run it without the core after system is cleaned up.
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

I have several low temp r-22 chillers that have heaters on the accumulator and are insulated, as flooding is a real problem. And oil return is a bigger problem, have not encountered this with med temp yet.

Do you understand how an accumulator works? It's not just a 'knock-out-pot' to additionally evaporate liquid refrigerant. Assuming proper sizing and application of the auumulator - the u-tube orifice meters any accumulated oil and liquid refrigerant back to the compressor at a tolerable rate. The refrigerant doesn't just sit there and slowly boil off.

If you have enough liquid accumulating in the accumulator, especially on med temp, to require an accumulator heater - you have systems problems to address. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    10 glass door walk-in cooler , R22

Copeland Semi burnt out , was cheaper to install a Hermi , so thats what I did

I added an accumilator because the counter guys said everybody else does it ....

Question is , this winter when its 10 deg out , will my oil have trouble returning through the accum?

I've seen others with a belly band heater on it

PS ... if you are wondering why I added a suction , it was a Bad burnout
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I would be more concerned about a crankcase heater.

compressor came with a CCH , you know the little rod type , pokes into the shell couple inches , 2 wires hanging out

Gotcha....I that a CR compressor ?

You'll be fine, although the accumulator probably wasn't needed. A hermetic compressor can handle small amounts of liquid better than a simi can. Besides that, liquid slugging probably wasn't the cause of the burn out anyways.

Its an OEM pack from United , AC compressor , OEMR53D-HP

They suggested it

Name:  Suction Line accumulator.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  44.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Do you understand how an accumulator works? It's not just a 'knock-out-pot' to additionally evaporate liquid refrigerant. Assuming proper sizing and application of the auumulator - the u-tube orifice meters any accumulated oil and liquid refrigerant back to the compressor at a tolerable rate. The refrigerant doesn't just sit there and slowly boil off.

If you have enough liquid accumulating in the accumulator, especially on med temp, to require an accumulator heater - you have systems problems to address. <g>

PHM
    ------
    "The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."
    -Sherlock Holmes

that little orifice is how the oil is returned to the compressor. There is normally an orifice size number stamped next to the outlet.

http://parker.com/literature/Sporlan...40/40-10-7.pdf
    "The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."
    -Sherlock Holmes

The Vibration Absorber should be installed parallel to the compressor crank shaft. The way you have them looks like it wasn't intended to act as a vibration absorber but more of a means to connect pipe together with out any use of a measuring tape. The vibration absorbers should always be installed in a straight line or they will start to break down and may fail over time.

Like PHM said, on medium temp if you have liquid coming back to the compressor you have bigger problem that need to be rectified.

Accumulators are usually on low temp because of the desired 4-6ºF Superheat and very low load once the product has fully frozen. Are these coolers staged, do they have EPR Valves on them or is it just one common evap serving 20 doors?
    "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”

Marie Curie

You’re going to have more problems with oil in that filter housing then the accumulator!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast