Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes

    Setting up E2 Alarms

    Does any have experience in setting up an E2(CPC) to send out a daily test alarm to verify that the phone line, modem, email, or Internet is working properly?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    2,504
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdown View Post
    Does any have experience in setting up an E2(CPC) to send out a daily test alarm to verify that the phone line, modem, email, or Internet is working properly?
    Are you lost???


    time to move along......this is for professionals only.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.


    If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

    If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Are you lost???


    time to move along......this is for professionals only.
    Iraqveteran - That's an interesting response to a first post. No I am not lost.
    If you don't have any suggestions to my question or you don't know what I am talking about, maybe you are lost and you should move on.

    Apparently you are not familiar with Supermarket Rack Controllers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    599
    Post Likes
    Not that I am aware of. Someone smarter than me could probably fiqure out a way. Do you have a light or bell to go off also so store staff can see/hear an alarm if the connection fails?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    Not that I am aware of. Someone smarter than me could probably fiqure out a way. Do you have a light or bell to go off also so store staff can see/hear an alarm if the connection fails?
    There is a light and bell that go off when there is an alarm in the store but it does not go off if the connection fails. Have you seen this done before?

    I have a group of stores that we monitor the Refrigeration/HVAC for. The store personnel are great at silencing the bell but they do not always call in the alarms. From time to time we have modems that need to be reset and they do not dial out. I would like to have them dial out once a day as a test to verify everything is working correctly.

    Thanks for your input

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,071
    Post Likes
    I think what Iraqveteran meant to say was...

    read this.

    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158850&page=3

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    26,159
    Post Likes
    To answer the original question:

    Yes


    I assume from your post that you are looking for a remote alarm monitoring type of set-up. These have their ups and downs. The employees at the store tend to get annoyed at the repeated calls from the monitoring service. The nicest thing is that if they close down the building at night or for holidays, you have full alarm monitoring capabilities.

    You will probably not find easy step-by-step instructions here in an open forum because nobody here is in the business of giving info away for free.

    Get your post count up and apply for professional membership.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    202
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdown View Post
    Does any have experience in setting up an E2(CPC) to send out a daily test alarm to verify that the phone line, modem, email, or Internet is working properly?

    If your using Ultrasite32 to connect to your sites, it has an autopolling feature that you can setup to have your computer dial into your stores daily and check alarms or backup set points. You can pull a report that will let you know if you were unable to connect to a site.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    Post Likes
    just as a side here.

    They got a new download at the emersen retail soilution website that is for connecting remote like ultrasite does, but it actually looks like the E2 screen, and can be easier for some to picture and navigate. It sorta reminds me of like those programs where you can remotely take over a computers os from a remote computer.

    I tried it. It's slow with dial up. I can see being direct connected and it might be okay or over IP.

    Just thought I'd let you guys know.

    I may be wrong, but you can't set up a thing where the alarm will dial out as a test automatically daily, weekly or what ever. You can set up where you wish to send an alarm to, and whether or not the alarm will report based on filter priortizing. I just brought up a site and tried to see and it doesn't give you the option to set up as your asking.

    I could be wrong. I know for sure Danfoss can do that. It's easy, cause it asks you whether you want that set or not.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    26,159
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    just as a side here.

    They got a new download at the emersen retail soilution website that is for connecting remote like ultrasite does, but it actually looks like the E2 screen, and can be easier for some to picture and navigate. It sorta reminds me of like those programs where you can remotely take over a computers os from a remote computer.

    I tried it. It's slow with dial up. I can see being direct connected and it might be okay or over IP.

    Just thought I'd let you guys know.

    I may be wrong, but you can't set up a thing where the alarm will dial out as a test automatically daily, weekly or what ever. You can set up where you wish to send an alarm to, and whether or not the alarm will report based on filter priortizing. I just brought up a site and tried to see and it doesn't give you the option to set up as your asking.

    I could be wrong. I know for sure Danfoss can do that. It's easy, cause it asks you whether you want that set or not.
    InSite is a nice program for a tech. You can check the site without going through all the handshack and site sync stuff that Ultrasite soes with every connect. Check site alarms and status and determine if service is needed and how critical the problem is. Its drawback is no ability to save a program, so if changes are made using InSite, you need to go back with Ultrasite to save.

    I may be wrong, but I believe that test dials are set using level 5 access. You could do it other ways, too without backdoor access.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,514
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    just as a side here.

    They got a new download at the emersen retail soilution website that is for connecting remote like ultrasite does, but it actually looks like the E2 screen, and can be easier for some to picture and navigate. It sorta reminds me of like those programs where you can remotely take over a computers os from a remote computer.

    I tried it. It's slow with dial up. I can see being direct connected and it might be okay or over IP.

    Just thought I'd let you guys know.

    I may be wrong, but you can't set up a thing where the alarm will dial out as a test automatically daily, weekly or what ever. You can set up where you wish to send an alarm to, and whether or not the alarm will report based on filter priortizing. I just brought up a site and tried to see and it doesn't give you the option to set up as your asking.

    I could be wrong. I know for sure Danfoss can do that. It's easy, cause it asks you whether you want that set or not.
    InSite is still slow on IP.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    202
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    InSite is a nice program for a tech. You can check the site without going through all the handshack and site sync stuff that Ultrasite soes with every connect. Check site alarms and status and determine if service is needed and how critical the problem is. Its drawback is no ability to save a program, so if changes are made using InSite, you need to go back with Ultrasite to save.

    I may be wrong, but I believe that test dials are set using level 5 access. You could do it other ways, too without backdoor access.
    I like Insite also, but Dow is right about the dial up speeds. It's been around long enough to think that Emerson has no plans on improving it. Besides I would think that most of the chains that use the E2 controller are going with an Ethernet/IP connection anyway.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    26,159
    Post Likes
    Hopefully, they will leave modems in place.

    Our biggest customer will not give IP access to anyone, so it's modems or nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event