Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Money is always an issue. If you can get accurate, repeatable readings for less money, then one should look at all the options available.

You can easily spend over $1,000 on infrared thermometers and do the same thing with a contact probe for far less.

I use the Fluke 52 and have two pipe probes. I clamp both probes on every time and leave them on until I'm finished with the job. I always monitor subcooling and superheat regardless of the type of metering valve. With this setup, I monitor exactly what's going on with the charge on both lines throughout the entire charging process. With the IR, you have to sit there and shoot the target whenever you want a reading and this ties up one hand.

Yes, I believe 100% one needs professional tools to do a professional job and I love gadgets as much as the next guy. But, the KISS method will always pay off in the long run.

I don't trust my IR that much. I have a contact probe rated for 500F. Great for calibrating cooktops and friers too.
    I rarely use my type K wires anymore, besides measuring air temp.

Feildpiece man here. Sometimes I have to take the battery out to reset the dang thing.

I have a fluke and 2 feildpeice pipeclamps The $50 feildpeice is the only one that works now, but it is 2F off. I have 1 tap in my meter calibrated for that clamp.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Here is a pic of what I use I think it ROCK'S I wanted the Fluke 54 but it was like a week lead time.

Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Originally posted by kim
    I don't trust my IR that much. I have a contact probe rated for 500F. Great for calibrating cooktops and friers too.
    I rarely use my type K wires anymore, besides measuring air temp.

Feildpiece man here. Sometimes I have to take the battery out to reset the dang thing.

I have a fluke and 2 feildpeice pipeclamps The $50 feildpeice is the only one that works now, but it is 2F off. I have 1 tap in my meter calibrated for that clamp.
    How do you that your fieldpiece is 2 degrees off ??? what method did you use to check the calibration.

Someone explain to me the differance in the Fluke pipe clamp thermometers. Am I right that there are 2 differant ones, one around $50 and one around $100 ?????? Whats the differance to make one more expensive ??????

[Edited by dec on 06-14-2006 at 12:20 PM]

The pipe clamp temp probe that says fluke is the exact same one as the fieldpiece they are made by the same manufacturer, and it is not fieldpiece or fluke.

I am refering to the one pictured in the thread with the fluke meter.

[Edited by berg2666 on 06-14-2006 at 05:59 PM]

Ok even if those style pipe clamp thermoeters are made by someone other then Fluke or Fieldpiece....... are there 2 differant ones at 2 differannt prices. It just seems to me I see then at around $100 and others around $50. Im getting the impression there are 2 that look about the same but some reason one is more expensive as if it may be better built. Am I wrong and there is only one that style ?????????

I have the $50 ones from fieldpiece. They are blue in color and work like a large clothespin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12