I have a question about past history with my MVR.

If I had a total of three DUIs all over seven years ago, is it almost impossible to get into this trade. I mean, this was never a thought of mine, but from what people I know in this trade have told me, it should be a top concern.

I am supposed to be starting school in August, and I am not going to waste my time, effort, and money, to get an education I will not be able to use.

I have not tried calling any shops, to see if they could give me an anwser, but dont even know if they would be truthfull.

Thats why I am here.

My mother was killed by a drunk driver, and back then that was my way to cope.

Have not had a drink or a cigrette in five years.

I am leaning towards not starting school, but need real info, from guys or employer's in the trade.

This Mistake in the past seems like it will haunt me forverer.

Just be honest. If my insurance provider didnt mind then I guess I wouldnt. If you started being late all the time or missing work because your hungover, then I would fire you. I like to think that people can change their ways if they decide to. This seems to be a weakness of mine because I am proven wrong more times then not. Good luck!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

I think insurance companies only go back 5 years. I would verify this by getting a insurance qoute in your area. They will ask "have you had any moving violations or accidents in the past x number of years." If i'm correct, it's really no ones biz but your own.

If your record has been clean for "over seven" years now, your record is as clean as anyone's. What happened in the past, after a while never happened at all.

Don't ask / Don't tell.

If it didnt afect me or my insurance I wouldnt care. I had one guy that I had heard was really good at service work and he wanted away from his shop. I ended up hiring someone else just to drive him around....... wouldnt you know it 2 days later I found out the guy I hired to drive him around had no drivers license.

Fired the driver and thats was ok being the service guy ended up being a parts changer and someone that because of his age, thought he deserved everything wether he knew what he was doing or not.

Better be dam good at what your doing if you have a bad driving record...... just the way it is.

We could not hire you. Our insurance company will not insure anyone that has had a drug or alcohol related traffic offence. As far as what stays on your driving record, traffic offences will drop off. Insurance companies (like ours) can look at criminal records where they will still find an old DUI.

Do you have a unrestricted drivers license now? Insurance?
    Talk to you insurance agent. He can tell you how commercial carriers view your situation in your state.

I have no restrictions on my license. I did have to go through a restrictive driving permit to get my license back, but that has been over with for a while.

I took it upon myself to call a couple of companies in my area, and tell them my situation. That I am planning to start school, my record was bad in the past, and is this really worth all my effort.

From the ma and pa shops, to the bigger companies,they told me it wouldn't make too much of a difference. If it was like three years ago, or if I had any accidents, or if I had any moving violations within a year, I could run into problems.

I dont know what the hell to do. I show up everyday for my current Tool and Die(Dead) job, work hard, and get things done right.
    I think I deserve a chance!

what school are you going to?

I am enrolled to start ETI, (Enviromental technical Institute) on July 12, and From what I heard, the company's I called and Talked to about my sitituation, told me they hire some students form there. Have you heard of this school?

Plus, my best friends neighbor is a big shot at a commercial HVAC company, and he is trying to help me get in. He didnt promise anything, but he did call my friend today and asked some info about me. I dont want to get excited, but that would be a dream come true.

His goal for me , I think, is to get me in and they train me, so I dont have to waste my money with school. Whatever it takes to get my foot in the door.He is a really nice guy.

I will be saying my prayers

i have not heard of the school but i am in iowa so that doesnt mean much.

i personally would tell you to still go the school route and work at the same time. it will be tougher but you will learn so much quicker which will allow your pay to increase alot quicker.

just my opinion.

jeep

honesty will get you the job.....

lost probably the hardest working, not best, installer i've had in a long time last year. he had 3 dwi's, and told me that on his app. my insurance co wouldn't even let him put air in the tires of my trucks. but I gave him a chance, because he was honest.

he never drove my trucks, but he worked for me harder than anyone ever, he finally finished all of his legal appearances recently. we still keep in touch,

point is everyone makes mistakes, few will admit to them. you'll get kicked around a bit, but it will only make you a better person.

I just know that have had colleagues get hit with DUIs and they ended up having to go out and purchase their own vehicle and supply their own insurance in order to do work at companies in trade. Sounds very expensive, and worse yet there is an outfit here that is basically the "end of the line" company that many in this situation end up working for, and they make it even worse because they underpay a guy who has a DUI. Lower wage plus STILL pay their own transportation- I say a prayer that I never have to work for those guys- I mean that in all sincerity too.
    Good job getting your life together, just realize that you really gotta be able to drive to work trade- I pretty much won't drink anymore because I have a family to support and can't risk it. Tried to hold onto those teen years longer but the responsibilities came nonetheless.
    Best wishes that the trade "clicks" for ya!
    Look, just do your job, stay outta my way and we'll get along fine.

Teach your kids to respect themselves and others with your actions- these little baboons will imitate you like it or not.

You may need to move to a state in which your driving record does not transfer when you get a new drivers license. I know Arizona and Michigan are two states not involved in the national record sharing program. Plenty of a/c jobs in AZ