Choosing between two Lennox systems

I am in a process looking for a replacement of upstairs HVAC system. Total house is 3800 sqft, currently have two identical 15 y.o 2.5 tons noname systems.

Have two similary priced quotes on Lennox HVAC systems.

First is 3 ton XC13 (14 SEER) / CX34 / ML180E.
    Second is 2.5 ton 13ACX (13 SEER) / CX34 / SL280V

First system is bigger and has better AC unit ("Elite Series") and basic furnace. Second is smaller and has basic AC and much better variable speed furnace ("Signature Series"). My current furnance is OK, i.e. it heating is not a problem. Cooling on the other hand was an issue updtair for the last several years.

Should I go with better AC or a better furnace? I am told that variable speed furnace will improve overall SEER rating of the system. And in the end both system will have similar SEER ratings.

Thanks!

Ave you looked at the xc14 ,depending on the age of the furnace might do it all at 1 time

Thanks for reply!

XC14 alone is quoted slightly less ($500) then cheap AC + furnace. Furnace is 15 y.o., it looks like I am getting a new furnace for $500.

Got AHRI ratings for both systems:

3.0 ton XC13 (14 SEER) / CX34 / ML180E - 14.5 SEER
    2.5 ton 13ACX (13 SEER) / CX34 / SL280V - 15.0 SEER

Should I go with 2nd system?

I would pick the second system with variable speed and merit series A/C. I am a Lennox dealer and that unit has proven to be very good. Variable speed does allow for higher seer as well as improved IAQ.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

Just make sure you have a quality contractor that is going to do the install properly.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crewbar View Post
    I am in a process looking for a replacement of upstairs HVAC system. Total house is 3800 sqft, currently have two identical 15 y.o 2.5 tons noname systems.

Have two similary priced quotes on Lennox HVAC systems.

First is 3 ton XC13 (14 SEER) / CX34 / ML180E.
    Second is 2.5 ton 13ACX (13 SEER) / CX34 / SL280V

First system is bigger and has better AC unit ("Elite Series") and basic furnace. Second is smaller and has basic AC and much better variable speed furnace ("Signature Series"). My current furnance is OK, i.e. it heating is not a problem. Cooling on the other hand was an issue updtair for the last several years.

Should I go with better AC or a better furnace? I am told that variable speed furnace will improve overall SEER rating of the system. And in the end both system will have similar SEER ratings.

Thanks!

why not get a quote on the xc13 and the sl280v. Also you may try the xc16, 2 speed a/c 3 ton. Will run at 2 ton on milder days like at night time when the outside cools down a little and when its hotter out, it kicks into 3 ton. This will be a system that will dehumidify the air and home way better than either of those 2 systems you mentioned. NOTE, must go with the variable speed furnace to operate a 2 speed a/c properly.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Quote Originally Posted by sideburns05 View Post
    Just make sure you have a quality contractor that is going to do the install properly.
    I like the installer of second system more. I have a duct problem and every installer suggested some ways to resolve it. This installer have most extensive plan for rebuilding ducting.

The only concern left is refrigerant lines. He is going to install one new (because it's uses different coolant?) and reuse other (or two others). Is it Ok or should I try to get all lines replaced?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Weaver View Post
    why not get a quote on the xc13 and the sl280v.
    I have a quote for XC13/SL280 and it significantly more expensive (additional 15%-20% of the total). I am not sure I will ever get a return on this investment. Our electricity rates are low (8c/kWh).

Also, I've just checked a parts site. XC13 and 13ACX share all major parts. Same compressor, motor/fan, contactor, capacitor. Exterior is different.

What are the advantages of XC13 over 13ACX?

Different case design and quieter not too much of a difference. I would have him change both lines if you are going from r22 to 410A refrigerant. If that is not plausible then the lines will need to flushed to insure a long efficient life of the compressor