Quadra Fire Santa Fe - dropping burning pellets in ash pan

Folks, mine was installed about 7 years ago. I have used different pellets over the years and this is the first time it has happened. It doesnt happen often but usually happens right after cleaning the pot. I clean the pot almost every day (no more than two days) to remove build up and provide a better burn. I do use a thermostat and have for the last 5 years without problems.

My, when on high, is dropping (unbelievably) burning pellets from burn pot into ash pan. It doesnt always happen. I removed the ash pan to watch the fire from below and check the pot clean-out plate to make sure it is closed and no gap. It is unbelievable to me that pellets are escaping through the small holes in the pot or around the igniter but I see no other way it can happen.

With that said, this year I am using American Biomass Clean Fire Premium Wood Pellets - ash < 1.0% and fines < .5%. These pellets are definitely burning hotter and slower than others since I had to slow the feed rate down almost all the way. But it seems the pellets sizes vary quite a bit. Is it possible that they are simply floating around with the blower and actually able to "escape" the pot?

sounds like your clean out plate isn't closing properly. you may need to adjust the nut tightness on the clean out hinge.

I adjusted it when I first saw this happen. It is closed all the way and there is maybe 10-15 thousands gap. BTW is there a very high temp grease that can be used on the clean out plate linkage? the thing is hard to close. I usually have to reach underneath and pull the plate closed. Thanks.

If it it hard to close you have the plate too tight, and maybe its not closing all the way?

Cool

You can try powdered graphite as a high temp lubricant. There are some litium based "high temp" greases locally available that can handle up to about 375*F but any grease will load up with fly ash and make a mess. Once dirt particles catch in the grease they would tend to act like valve grinding compound or 'lap' the joint, which can lead to making it more leaky.

Check the fit of the firepot to the combustion chamber. Is it rocking when you pull the lever? If so, you may need to replace the gasket and resnug the pot bolts. A rocking pot will lead to jamming the lever often causing the handle to bind and prevent the guillotine gate from closing completely.

HTH