Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Dodge service trucks

Has anyone Had a dodge serivice truck before? The 98-04 Model the dodge Ramvan as I believe they are called. Bell Canada used them out hear for many years and now just re did thier fleet with Ford's (Probaly cause Dodge doesnt make a full sized van) and Bell is selling off all thier old trucks. I am looking at getting one cause they are at great prices and have all the nice bins back rack ladder rack etc installed in them already.

I am wondering from anyone that knows about them what to look out for?
    What are the known major problems these vans have and what i should look for?
    I know the van is old and used but at these prices I can afford to do a little body work slash paint. I will wanna paint the van Black cause they are like purple now. It has the 5.2L V8 in it.

So what are the know major issues with these vans Thanks????

Quote Originally Posted by #1CDNTECH View Post
    Has anyone Had a dodge serivice truck before? The 98-04 Model the dodge Ramvan as I believe they are called. Bell Canada used them out hear for many years and now just re did thier fleet with Ford's (Probaly cause Dodge doesnt make a full sized van) and Bell is selling off all thier old trucks. I am looking at getting one cause they are at great prices and have all the nice bins back rack ladder rack etc installed in them already.

I am wondering from anyone that knows about them what to look out for?
    What are the known major problems these vans have and what i should look for?
    I know the van is old and used but at these prices I can afford to do a little body work slash paint. I will wanna paint the van Black cause they are like purple now. It has the 5.2L V8 in it.

So what are the know major issues with these vans Thanks????
    The Dodge cargo van couldn't compete with the Express/Savana or Econoline, it was too small. If you can find a 2500 in the medium length (I think there was 3 lengths), I say go for it.

The Dodge van was also dropped around 2002 when the Sprinter replaced it in the USA.

The 318 V8 is a good motor. Good power and they last.

They have what i call a light 3/4 ton suspension and a heavy 3/4 suspension (I can't think of the gvw off the top of my head one has 5 bolt wheels and one has 8 bolt wheels). Run away from the light duty ones.

Do you like working on cars?

The 2001 (with the heavy suspension) has been a constant problem from day one. It's on it's 3rd transmission (the overdrive transmission-van has approx. 110,000 miles on the clock- was rebuilt at about 40,000 and 90,000).

The 94's transmission (non overdrive) lasted about 70k. The trans we put in, bought from advance auto, didn't last long (the guy who rebuilt it said the remanufacturer did a bad job).

Upper ball joint screws into the control arm, threads strip out easily. Buy a complete control arm when ball joint needs replaced (go to rock auto, not dealer). And use nothing but Moog suspension parts, nothing else lasted.

The thing eats wheel bearings (we tried everything) and needs front brakes once a year (tried everything also).

The exhaust system (stainless?) lasted a long time.

My boss drives this van so the problems are not from a employee beating on the thing (my van, ford, had very little problems )

It's a nice van when it runs.

I had a 94 new dodge truck and it was the last dodge I will ever own!

Tranny went out at 98k miles- bought a brand new factory one ($2,400.00 +) and it started going out at 140k miles. Engine started smoking too on start up. (This is when I traded it in).

Radio quit after 14 months, seat quit adjusting, both sun visor clips broke, a/c knob fell off, had a rattle in the muffler that was embarrassing, two exhaust manifold bolts were broke off in the heads from the factory, before 80k miles had to replace the water pump, alternator, and the idler arm. The a/c was never cold enough and the truck would over heat a bit in hilly country.

Piece of junk. A truck is suppose to make me money, not cost more than it's worth!

My Ford truck has 150k + on it and has never been in the shop, and everything still works fine.

I might add- I take very good care of my trucks. All maintenance is done and with synthetics, and no hard driving.

Thanks guys I just went and Looked it Over and geuss what the Tranny Clunks. It smokes on start up and runs real ruff till she warms up. I think Chevy is the stupidist for getting ride of the Astro Van. I wish I could get a 2012 one of those. I think they should bring them back! So what is the best Ford motor? I heard they made some Truck motors where the spark plugs break off in the heads. Whats the best chevy motor? I would be carrying alot of weight cause I do not have a shop?

Just a thought but have you checked out Nissan.After looking at the new nv series by them it looks like they are bringing something real to the table especially with there shelving and rack options
    For some reason I learn more with my mouth shut

The best ford motor is the 300 six. Unfortunatly, they stopped offering them in the mid 90's.

The ford modular motors (4.6 and 5.4) from what I have read, orginally had a problem with the spark plugs popping out. Somewhere around 2002 the heads were redone so there were more threads for the spark plugs to thread into.

They sound like a real bear to change, especially if they have been installed for a long time.

The ford E250's got a real good suspension. They can handle the weight no problem.

Last chevy I drove was a 86, don't know how the newer models are. The 6L V8 sounds like it's a real powerhouse though.

My 97 Ford F150 has 346,000 miles on it, just changed spark plugs couple weeks ago (took 3/4 hr) runs great. I rebuilt the transmission my self at 200,000 miles. And it had a used motor put in at 170,000 with 70,000 on the used one. So the used one now has 106,000 miles and runs strong. And rebuilt trans has 146,000 miles on it. Whatever vehicle you get as long as it wasn't a lemon, will treat you as well as you treat it.

We had an inside joke that any full size van w/less than an 8500# GVWR should be used for delivering flowers.
    Dodge Ram Van 3500 was about 2000# less than it's GM & Ford comperative models, that my friends is no comparison!

Toyota Tundra is my ride. Going with another one this year. The seat on my 02 is tore from my butt, so a new truck is in order.

In 10yrs I've replaced one O2 sensor, brake pads, and 3 sets of tires.

By far the best van I have worked out of would be the Sprinter. No matter the company name, Dodge,Mercedes or Freightliner it's the same truck. Excellent room inside. Standard height has more headroom than any other van Chevy,Dodge or Ford. I'm only 5'4" so I could stand up straight while fetching parts.
    Also 500 miles between fill-ups.

The best Ford van would have to be the e-250 with the triton 5.4L engine.
    If you like the feeling of tipping while turning go with a Chevy, car like suspension in a truck, what were they thinking?

Chevy all they way, our fleet recently recently changed to the 3/4 ton fords with the 4.6l v8, ride like a wooden buggy and have the power of one too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast