Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hvac job area

Besides Hvac Wiz, what Bossman didn't mention was that I had been involved in an accident before I showed up at his shop and still got there early. Now back on topic. Keep looking. Something will come up. It did for me. And I'm glad it did.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    John, Attitude may get you a job, but talent keeps your job. The combination is "Golden" (Thanks Rod Blagojevich)
    Being one of the few techs on this site that agrees with much of what you say, I have a hard time believing you believe that attitude is everything. Attitude doesnt keep customers long term. It doesn't hurt, but when it comes down to it, from a customers standpoint, it's about money and workmanship. Ideally it's about people willing to pay for quality work the first time.
    You know how I cherish technical skills....

That being said, I can take a guy with a good attitude, and teach him the trade. I enjoy teaching.....as opposed to hiring an experienced guy with a surly attitude, who thinks he already knows everything he needs to. I've had my share of those.

I'm 52, and learning every day. I don't know how old you are, but I'll bet you're still learning too.

The good guys always are.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Give me someone who wants to work and has a good attitude, and I can work them even if they prove not to have very much aptitude for hvac/r. But give me someone with a lot of mechanical aptitude and a bad attitude, and they won't be around long. As far as getting hired, anywhere in the country there is a great shortage of people in the technical trades. Yes, all of us would like to have seasoned techs with great attitudes show up and want to go to work, but in reality, there just not there. If they are seasoned and worth anything, they already have good jobs. So we are left with new guys who want to become seasoned. That is ok too, cause we can take you and mold you into the hand we need you to be. I think you can pretty much go anyhwere in the country and go to work if you put your best foot forward.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

You might take a road trip to San Antonio and fill out some applications. Tech skool grads around here are....lets say...rough around the edges.
    Read, read, read!

I have always said that the best case scenario is to have a student working during the day as a helper/apprentice, and taking night classes in hVAC/R. This combination gives them the real world application at the same time as the theory. It is hard for someone who has never done this kind of work to pick it up from school alone, and a whole lot of those who never have the school become function trained techs who know how to get something going 99% of the time without ever knowing what was really wrong or why what they did fixed it.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12