My apollo hydroheat evaporator coil has been leaking condensate water directly off of the coil and onto the floor (not the drain pan) below.

Unit is an apollo hydroheat 2.5 ton M 42, installed around 1993/94. Vertically mounted "A Frame" style coil on first floor with hot water heater in basement below appx 16 feet away.

Unit is 1800 sqft brick townhome center unit located in southern PA.

I think this has a been a problem since the house was built in 94.

This seems to leak much more on hot spells when the AC is running fairly continously for several days. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the floor board so that the water goes into a 5 gallon bucket in the basement below.

During these hot spells where temps are above 90F for several days, the unit can never keep the house less then around 80F.

I've had several HVAC tech's look at the unit including check charge, clean the coil, increase the fan speed.

I'm running out of options and money with solving this problem and am hoping someone here has more experience or insight. The one tech suggested replacing the coil, but also said he couldn't find anything wrong with the coil and that it would be very expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm somewhat knowledgable with A/C systems (I'm a controls engineer for York Process Systems) so if you know of things I could check please advise.

If cleaning the coil did not help,
    I wouldn't increase the fan .

I would think increasing the fan would make the moisture be pused of the coil.

The water is already falling by itself, why push it off the coil with moore fan speed ?

Slow the fan,
    I had one coil that I cleaned 3 times before it ran down the coil right.

[Edited by Toolpusher on 05-31-2006 at 10:29 PM]
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Toolpusher, thanks very much for the reply.

If cleaning the coil is the solution, then I'm ok because I need to replace the coil because of a small refrigerant leak thats probably 2 years old. I just didn't want to go ahead with replacing just the coil and have this happen all over again. I think the condensate leak has expediated rusting of the coil, and now I must replace.

However, with regards to fan speed. The technician said that the leak might be because there was not enough air flow across the coils. When he increased the fan speed, the leaking "seemed" to decrease. But I have no quantifiable proof that it helped.

Is there a good method for cleaning the coil that a DIY amatuer such as myself should do as part of routine maintenance?

The indoor coil should be left to your tech to clean.
    They can be hard to reach, and difficult to clean the whole coil.

You can rinse the outdoor coil off with your garden hose.

If your going to replace the coil why clean it ?
    If the leak is for sure in the coil, get yourself a new one and be done with it.
    Which have you done ?

I've inspected the indoor coil several times. I'm not sure what you are referring to about "the outdoor coil". Is this the condenser?

If I don't need to clean the coils routinely, then as the old adage goes "If it aint broke, dont fix it". I hope replacing the coil will cure my woes. I replace the air filter about every 6 mo's or as needed.

Again, I really appreciate your time in discussing this issue with me.

Originally posted by torotech
    "the outdoor coil". Is this the condenser?

Yes,
    Which have you done ?

You should also have them verify that the water is draining properly. If the condensate line is not trapped or run correctly the water will hold in the pan and can overflow.

Wait.. which coil is leaking? The evaporator (air conditioning) coil, or the Apollo hydro fan coil?

There is no such thing as a "apollo hydroheat evaporator coil". An Apollo system with AC has two coils - one hydro coil for the heat, which circulates domestic hot water, and one evaporator coil for the AC which is a standard split system 22/410a inside coil.

If the evaporator coil is leaking, the advice so far is sound. However, if it's actually the *Apollo* coil leaking, then it's probably a pinhole leak or loose fitting on that coil. I would not be at all surprised if that had been missed; many resi techs who aren't familiar with Apollo type systems tend to. (Or they completely screw up the water heater near piping and then wonder why it doesn't work right.)

Speeding the fan speed up means less moisture removal and more sensible.

Slowing the fan speed down means more moisture removal and less sensible.