Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pros or Cons of Gas ballast Valve on Vacuum Pump

How important is it to have a gas ballast valve on a vacuum pump? Whats the pro's and cons?
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Helps to prevent oil from being sucked into the second stage of the vacuum pump during shutdown and to prolong the life of the pump oil when it is opened for the first part of the initial system evacuation. I wouldn't buy one without it. If they leave that feature off, where else do they cut corners? I bought mine to last 15 years. Metal vanes, dual stage pump, gas ballast, name brand with a dependable history. Money you save might cost you if it fails on a job or a few years down the road.

Dan
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

Awesome! thanks for the feedback. I found a vacuum pump that interests me. Its a CPS VP6D. It has 3 ports 1/4, 3/8 , 1/2 . Dual voltage and dual stage. And its rated down for 10 microns. Its a good brand. And it also has a gas ballast valve.

Appion TEZ8 has no gas ballast. Did they cut corners
    I think a gas ballast is better suited for large equipment and big pumps with a lot of oil capacity. Otherwise its just another part that needs maintenance or could fail IMO
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Appion TEZ8 has no gas ballast. Did they cut corners
    I think a gas ballast is better suited for large equipment and big pumps with a lot of oil capacity. Otherwise its just another part that needs maintenance or could fail IMO
    The TEZ8 doesn't have a gas ballast because it has a 2 stage exhaust system that is able to vent moisture between stages without breaking the vacuum seal.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

No where in the literature did I see anything about venting moisture between stages. I do see references to a hydrophobic pump oil, a debris catch tube, and a quick change oil reservoir. The Appion is a innovative design and appears to be a exception to my guideline. I have the JB DV-200n and feel it is a top of the line vacuum pump.

Dan
    Last edited by derb; 04-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

The TEZ8 must have some slick 5hit inside if you are able to change oil like that on the fly
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

So there are some vacuum pumps that will exhaust the moisture out beside some of it accumulating into the oil reservoir ? What you guys think about this pump? I am really debating on what to get. I don't want to buy anything too expensive nor too cheap that it breaks after a few usage. Although I won't be using it alot in the beginning.

http://www.inficonvacuumpumps.com/en/qs5vacuumpump.html

Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    So there are some vacuum pumps that will exhaust the moisture out beside some of it accumulating into the oil reservoir ? What you guys think about this pump? I am really debating on what to get. I don't want to buy anything too expensive nor too cheap that it breaks after a few usage. Although I won't be using it alot in the beginning.

http://www.inficonvacuumpumps.com/en/qs5vacuumpump.html
    I know several who have this pump and is just as good as JB or YJ. I always run any of mine with ballast open till it gets down to a couple thousand or so microns then close it.

Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    No where in the literature did I see anything about venting moisture between stages. I do see references to a hydrophobic pump oil, a debris catch tube, and a quick change oil reservoir.
    Dan
    3rd bullet point down.
    http://www.appioninc.com/downloads/f...8_Brochure.pdf

In my simi-vegetative pre-caffeine brain state in the morning I may have read more into it than it means, but they are saying no gas ballast is needed because of the 2 stage exhaust design, they didn't just omit it.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Mofotech, that's the exact same pump that I use. They're pretty stout pumps. The first time I used it, I pulled down to 150 micron. Would've went longer if I wasn't pressed for time.

Gas ballasts help keep moisture out of the oil. But if they're opened during evacuation, they can prolong the process. I usually open mine before pumping down, to warm it up, and then again after evacuation.

The other advantage is using it during dehydration of a system with a lot of moisture.

If you pull a vacuum to quickly and deep enough the moisture will freeze, leave your gas ballast open a pinch and you will pull a lot more moisture out without freezing it.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    The other advantage is using it during dehydration of a system with a lot of moisture.

If you pull a vacuum to quickly and deep enough the moisture will freeze, leave your gas ballast open a pinch and you will pull a lot more moisture out without freezing it.
    Indeed. Wet systems are terrible!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast