Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    One more thing - from our perspective, we are interested in getting the system that will get the job done (don't need any extra bells or whistles) and will be the maximum return on our investment within the first few years of ownership.

So, for example, if a system is more efficient but would take 10 years for the increased efficiency to pay for itself, then we don't need it. Anything we get is going to be at least 50% more efficient than what we have now.

Looks like we crossed posts

Get a company that does a load calc and determines the right size for your application. Too big of a furnace on too small of ductwork and you are looking for another cracked HX.

Okay - I'm heading out to write down exactly what we have now. Going forward from this post, I am talking about only the upstairs system (because that is all we are replacing now). I apologize for my confusion on what I typed in the OP (mixing up the upstairs and downstairs quotes when really we are only replacing upstairs right now). Be back soon.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingHVAC View Post
    One more thing - from our perspective, we are interested in getting the system that will get the job done (don't need any extra bells or whistles) and will be the maximum return on our investment within the first few years of ownership.

So, for example, if a system is more efficient but would take 10 years for the increased efficiency to pay for itself, then we don't need it. Anything we get is going to be at least 50% more efficient than what we have now.
    I bought a house a 7 years ago in June and when I got the first electric bill I got rid of the 8 seer trane junk and put in 15seer carrier's-my electric bill was cut about in half for August.

If you are not going to be in the house for a long time, just going from 8 to 13 will make your day or put a higher efficiency upstairs and put 13 seer down. (but don't try to get high efficiency by oversizing the furnace )

My current condenser is THIS ONE.

It is very hard to read the numbers, but this is the best I could surmise on the inside units:

Amana GUIC090CA30

Amana cca24fcc

Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingHVAC View Post
    No one should be selling you savings.It's impossible to predict how much you will save, to many different variations in temps, and power prices and also, will you have total control over the thermostat for the next ten years? They should be selling you comfort.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Desperate

Looks like about 70 KBTU on heating assuming 80% efficiency. I would say that is grossly oversized.

2 ton on outside condenser.

Yes, I would prefer a load calc at least on heating. But I feel comfortable that you could drop to the 60 K mdl on the XT80 furnace. Next size down is the 40 K mdl. Not sure about that since you live in N Tx. Load calc would be best.

IMO

isn't that a 90,000 btu ? The 30 should be for 3-ton of air. But I am not an Amana dealer so just guessing.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Nobody is trying to sell me savings. I am selling myself savings (because our electric bills on our 2300 square foot house are approximately the same as my mother's 6600 square foot house).

As for the furnace, I have to admit that you guys are talking over my head. Could someone explain, in layman's terms, what I need to know in terms of educating myself on the furnace and how the furnace should coordinate with the other equipment?

I do not think any of the many service providers we contacted did an official load calculation (not that we saw, anyway).

Adding - I should also mention that our home is insulated (probably not amazingly well) but has leaks for sure (doors, windows) and has single-pane aluminum windows (probably original to the house). It has somewhere between 20-30 windows and low ceilings (8 feet)... if that's helpful information?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    isn't that a 90,000 btu ? The 30 should be for 3-ton of air. But I am not an Amana dealer so just guessing.
    that is the specs for that furnace. do you have places in texas that require 90k input on a 2 ton AC?

I am getting more confused. 90K input on a 2 ton AC? No idea what that means. I know that a 2 ton means 2 tons of capacity. I have no idea how that related to input specs. I also don't know if you're referring to the original equipment or to what I should buy?

Desperate

The suggestion is plain and simple.

Your cooling size at two ton is probably correct.

But your current furnace would seem to br grossly oversized. This costs you in operating cost, comfort, and possible short cycling which is a wear and tear issue to the furnace.

You need a load calculation for best sizing performed by your HVAC professional.

IMO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast