Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pls Help Choose a System (specifics included)

Post Likes
    Here is the specs page for the furnace proposed:

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...0-Gas-Furnaces

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingHVAC View Post
    What is AFUE? These are the specs it shows for the furnace being proposed: AFUE 80

What does that mean? I'm also very confused by the specs the Trane web site shows for this furnace versus the ones below it. It shows tons on this furnace (2) but shows BTUH on the two models that are lower than this model. What does all this mean?
    "Annual fuel utilization efficiency" relates to the furnace fuel usage. What they are trying to do is get you a higher efficiency 16 seer, by the combination of the furnace,coil and condenser, and this is what the mfg. is saying, is the equipment needed to achieve this 16 seer, this is fine! and how their engineers have designed it to get to 16 seer. This is were all this high efficiency stuff gets confusing for the public, most of us pro's know there are certain areas of the country this match up would be wonderful, but if you in a humid area of the country, your latent/humidity removal will suffer. Some Pro's here have debated the larger coil "16 seer" will create a wash in the humidity removal, were some of us pro's say the colder the coil will achieve this better, more cfm's= warmer coil...less cfm's=colder coil, I guess the jury is still out on this. I can say this, there use to be a company in Houston that actually used a .5 ton larger condenser outside to achieve an even colder coil for better humidity removal, so do we trust the mfg. engineers that build one size fits all? or do we incorporate years and years of battlefield experience from the Pro's? I just don't know.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Do you see any obvious reason that the proposed Trane system is a bad choice? I am happy to not be a stickler and just know that we are not making an obviously BAD decision, being deceived in any way, or one that will cost us significant money or one that will have a seriously negative impact on the comfort level.

We've been living with a horrible system, low efficiency and very old for six years (since we bought the house) and have never felt uncomfortable at all. So unless this proposed system is just a bad idea, I think we are just about ready to pull the trigger on it. WDYT?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingHVAC View Post
    Do you see any obvious reason that the proposed Trane system is a bad choice?.
    No! and if for some reason in the future "if" your humidity seems to run a little high, the blower motor should have some optional speeds the service company can lower to adjust the cfm's to control the humidity better. I was not trying to split hairs here, but airflow is a main ingredient, for proper latent and sensible heat control, enjoy your new system, Get-R-Done!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Thank you to each of you who took the time to respond! I greatly appreciate your feedback.

I have confirmed that the furnace is 40,000 BTUs and 2 tons, so it sounds, from what you all have said, like it is an appropriate match and fit for my home. Since we have never had any problems with comfort level when our existing systems have been running properly, we feel comfortable that matching the old systems is an appropriate choice for us.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks! You guys probably saved us a thousand dollars we, in our specific situation, really didn't need to spend. I appreciate it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in