Thread: career path

career path

What is a better career path? I’ve been working in hvac/r for 2 years now. Doing residential and light commercial service and install, about 50/50 for a small company. Also started working on refrigeration about a year ago. I now whats to come in 15 years just have to look at the guy next to me at work. I have an employment opportunity to become an apprentice service tech doing strictly commercial hvac. I wonder if any of u could shed some light on working
    for a larger company doing commercial hvac.

Not sure if this is much help but, I'd imagine that this experience is all dependent on the company you're planning on working for. Do some research on them and if you can, try to request to do more commercial work with your current company to see if that's what you really enjoy doing. Although the application is probably different vs working for bigger sized units out there, at least you can get a feel for it. Good luck

it is always greener on the other side. its always seems nice to be involved into a bigger company but.... the thing you have to really consider. are you doing a lot of hrs where you are right now and are you still learning. smaller companies are always good to work for because you tend to work on a lot of different stuff but as for a bigger company. they may have you work for 6 months but lay you off the rest of the year when it becomes slow. a company between 3-6 techs are good to work for anything bigger is a gamble. thats what i find... and by you doing everything it may be more better for you in the long run. thats just my 2 cents.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

The first Commercial company I worked for did light commercial refrigeration (mostly fast food) and any size air conditioning, I worked there 8 years, almost always overtime and they very seldom laid anybody off, quite a few guys had 20 plus years with the company. The next company I worked for did strictly A/C and would lay me off for two weeks or a month at a time. If you can find a company that does some refrigeration also you will always get your hours. Commercial Air Conditioning is seasonal refrigeration is not. I now work for a company that does mainly Supermarkets and 60-80 hours a week is normal for the refrigeration guys. I mainly do hvac and 45-50 hours a week is normal for me. I was a residential tech for 27 years and I switched to commercial in 1999 and I love it. Research the company and talk to the counter guys at the supply houses find out which is the best company locally to work for. Do your homework, personally I wouldn't make the switch until I had 6 months worth of wages in the bank and I would do it in May or June at the beginning of the cooling season. There is no rush, do it when the time is right for you.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

The main thing i would add is "continuity" in a trade. You don't want to be seen that you jump around. Employers like to see some commitment. My rule of thumb is 2 years between jobs. But those changes should show growth in a particular field. In today's job market- unlike in the 60's, 70' or 80's where working for a company for 10 years or 30 is not the norm of today. Today its not unusual to see people having worked for several companies. but companies will look at time spent there and what you did. to take a job in HVAC then move to car washing, then a plumber, or appliance repair is not good. Doing HVAC residential, to commercial, then to a different company focusing mainly on chillers are career choices where you are bettering yourself and shows a drive to learn and expand your knowledge. Talking to employers about you experience and what you learned and how you can apply that experience and knowledge for them will be helpful and professional. But like it's been said here, ask questions, research, just don't jump because its sounds good. Not always easy but can and will be fruitful. In my younger days i was enticed to work with a commercial boiler company which did a lot of heavy oil work. It wasn't soon after i figured all they wanted was someone to do boiler refractory work. nasty work. but i did it, learned a lot, *****ed a lot. But i stuck it out. 20 years later I'm glad i did it. I learned things i never would have learned otherwise. Books don't teach that type of work.