Thread: Compressor replacement. Good outcome likely?

Post Likes

Compressor replacement. Good outcome likely?

I posted before about a compressor failure on my 3 ton heat pump system 8 months after a major repair where a new compressor was installed. I've gotten several estimates for repair and replacement and am trying to make an educated choice on how to proceed. The technician demonstrated to me how each of the 3 compressor (single phase) terminals where shorted to the compressor case.

I'm now looking at either a new system (R410A) or compressor replacement (R22) under parts-only warranty.

The new system is a "basic" system, no two-speed fans, or anything special. Just new outdoor unit, line set and indoor coil. I would get a 10 year parts/labor warranty with required yearly maintenance check. (That was the most economical option, there were bigger, pricier things they were glad to sell me.)

The fix would be new warrantied compressor, flush lines, refill coolant. Hope for the best. Because of my personal finances, I'm starting to lean towards the repair option.

My questions are:

If I go for the repair, what do I as a consumer need to do to maximize the chance that the repair will last? What do I need see the technician do?

Do I require them to do an acid test? If acid is present, what cost-effective corrective action should be taken?

I've seen internet ads for a "Qwikshot acid flush". They claim there is no salt residue that would otherwise contaminate my system. Should I want this product placed in the repaired system just to be sure the acid is gone if present?

Regarding add-on electric kits:

Will a hard-start kit really increase compressor longevity? Some ads claim that all motors used to have similar kits, but they were removed to save money, and claim that they reduce inrush current and correct power factor on all motors thus prolonging the life of the windings.

What about the Hyper Engineering soft-start kit? One Youtube HVAC vlogger promotes this kit for making a compressor last longer.

I'll be happy if I can get a repair that can be expected to last another 5 years or so. If that's an unreasonable expectation, I guess I'll finance a new system.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelp View Post
    I posted before about a compressor failure on my 3 ton heat pump system 8 months after a major repair where a new compressor was installed.
    So would this be the 3rd compressor including the original?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    3rd compressor after 8 years....2 in the last year....

Anybody that came out make an attempt to figure out why?
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    3rd compressor after 8 years....2 in the last year....

Anybody that came out make an attempt to figure out why?
    I think he said 8 months.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Heat pump system in new construction bought July 2004. (Compressor #1)
    Stopped cooling in July 2011. Reversing valve and compressor replaced (Compressor #2)
    System found to be tripping circuit breaker in March 2012. (Possible #3).

So yes, this would be my 3rd compressor in 8 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelp View Post
    Heat pump system in new construction bought July 2004. (Compressor #1)
    Stopped cooling in July 2011. Reversing valve and compressor replaced (Compressor #2)
    System found to be tripping circuit breaker in March 2012. (Possible #3).

So yes, this would be my 3rd compressor in 8 years.
    Ok the July 2004 info must have been provided in another post, and the 2nd compressor only lasted 8 months? just wild guess must be some contaminants left in the system.

Post Likes
    You need to find out what is killing the compressors first thing ,most compressors are killed due to lack of proper airflow ,

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in