reach in drawer cooler

im an hvac guy been in refrigeration for about a year. i am progressing but still am not at journeymen level for refer. I was given a service call on a RIC today at a restaurant/steakhouse. the service call was for cooler leaking water. the cooler has two heatcraft evaporators and it is set up on a mechanical rack on the roof all 404 refrigerant.the unit is controlled by an etc calling a solenoid with a pressure control on the roof. so when i arived i found water in the cooler and noticed no water in the drain pans. i put my shop vac on the drain and pulled out alot of water and muc. i checked each of the fans a total of four two on each evap. all were running proper. i found out that the compressor had been replaced by a previous tech about 1 month ago. and a leak repaired about 2 weeks ago. i noticed one evaporator had some ice on the bottom and the other did not. the evap with ice was the second on the circut. i looked at the etc settings and temp was 32 and diff was 2. i felt that this was way to cold and adjusted to 36 with a diff of 3. i did not check the pressures but did check sight glass and it was clear. soooo all in all do you guys think i am missing anything could there be more to this or am i just being paranoid. this cooler does not have a defrost at least i did not see one which bothered me especially one it was set to 32. i do believe this is what took out the old compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    im an hvac guy been in refrigeration for about a year. i am progressing but still am not at journeymen level for refer. I was given a service call on a RIC today at a restaurant/steakhouse. the service call was for cooler leaking water. the cooler has two heatcraft evaporators and it is set up on a mechanical rack on the roof all 404 refrigerant.the unit is controlled by an etc calling a solenoid with a pressure control on the roof. so when i arived i found water in the cooler and noticed no water in the drain pans. i put my shop vac on the drain and pulled out alot of water and muc. i checked each of the fans a total of four two on each evap. all were running proper. i found out that the compressor had been replaced by a previous tech about 1 month ago. and a leak repaired about 2 weeks ago. i noticed one evaporator had some ice on the bottom and the other did not. the evap with ice was the second on the circut. i looked at the etc settings and temp was 32 and diff was 2. i felt that this was way to cold and adjusted to 36 with a diff of 3. i did not check the pressures but did check sight glass and it was clear. soooo all in all do you guys think i am missing anything could there be more to this or am i just being paranoid. this cooler does not have a defrost at least i did not see one which bothered me especially one it was set to 32. i do believe this is what took out the old compressor.
    Water on the bottom of the box, none in the drain? Sounds like you missed the diagnosis completely. Think about it. Condensate falls off the coil into the pan, and down the drain. No water in the drain pans? Where did the water (condensate)come from?

If you check everything, everytime, you won't miss anyting. You admitted you didn't even check the pressures.(May not even matter, but if your not sure, it needs to be checked) It doesn't have a defrost? or not one that you've found? Most "mini" racks will have a defrost somewhere. If it's not at the rack, it's behind a panel at the box somewhere. How can you make a diagnosis of what took out a compressor without even hooking up your guages?
    Think about it.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Pour water into evaporator drain pans and find out where the leak is.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Water on the bottom of the box, none in the drain? Sounds like you missed the diagnosis completely. Think about it. Condensate falls off the coil into the pan, and down the drain. No water in the drain pans? Where did the water (condensate)come from?

If you check everything, everytime, you won't miss anyting. You admitted you didn't even check the pressures.(May not even matter, but if your not sure, it needs to be checked) It doesn't have a defrost? or not one that you've found? Most "mini" racks will have a defrost somewhere. If it's not at the rack, it's behind a panel at the box somewhere. How can you make a diagnosis of what took out a compressor without even hooking up your guages?
    Think about it.

X2. Op need's to read Mt's sticky.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Was the case at temp? Service call only for the water issue? The water may have come from the coil that was partly frozen, if the ice was sticking out past the drain pan. 32* does seem too cold of a set point if there is no defrost cycle but I bet there is a clock somewhere. I'd find out for sure if there is a clock and if its operating properly, also check the drawer gaskets and that all the drawers close tightly.