Thread: carrier gxn225

Post Likes

carrier gxn225

The compressor on this chiller has a good leak in the area between the motor and compressor of this semi hermetic body. Is this field repairable? I don't think so but I figured I needed to consult the professionals. I will try to post a picture. Thanks in advanceThe compressor on this chiller has a good leak in the area between the motor and compressor of this semi hermetic body. Is this field repairable? I don't think so but I figured I needed to consult the professionals. I will try to post a picture. Thanks in advance.IMG_20150514_144603199.jpgIMG_20150514_144603199.jpg

in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes
    Where does the leak start? Hard to tell from the photo, Have you pinpointed the exact leak location?..... If you are lucky, the O-Ring at the internal filter is leaking and running down the side of compressor...can be easily replaced along with the filter...
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

Post Likes
    Its dead center between the motor and the compressor . definitely not the oil filter. Its was blowing bubbles when running.

Post Likes
    Get in touch with American Hermetics in Dallas,TX. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. They have successfully rebuilt that style compressor. Is Carrier National Service Center still in Houston? They would be the best answer, however I want to say they cut back on service? Something. I don't know.

Post Likes
    OK so that's kind of what I figured, that this isn't field serviceable. Thanks for the info.

Post Likes
    I'm not familiar with the Carrier GXN chillers, but for what it's worth...we have pulled apart York DSX screws several times in the field to replace o-rings, with success.

Post Likes
    I have had some success with what I would call a temporary repair. Most likely the leak is less when the compressor is hot, so the colder the body of the compressor, the better to try this. Remove refrigerant and clean the compressor body using brake cleaner or something similar. The idea is to get all of the debris, oil etc. from between the motor barrel and compressor section. Pull a 30 inch vacuum and apply a Loctite type sealant. I used Imperial high vacuum leak sealant. Warm the sealant up to about 100 degrees so that it is very fluid. Allow the sealant to dribble down between the casings a few times. Keep a vacuum on the compressor/ circuit for a few more hours. Leave the circuit at 0 psi overnight until the sealant dries to hard as glass. Pressure test, evacuate etc. as usual. I have had this work on three compressors. All of the units are slated for replacement and have not leaked in eight months.

Otherwise you have to pull the compressor on to a bench, disassemble and re-ring all of the seals. Carlyle does not recommend it however. This leakage is related to years and runtime heat. They usually leak worse when the compressor is off line and the ambient temp is 50 degrees or lower. It would be a very good idea to advise the customer that their is no guarantee of this repair and they should prepare for spending quite a bit of money. In the long term a compressor/ unit replacement is coming.

In the case of yours leaking strongly while running, I would say those O-rings are cooked out. All you can do is try.

Post Likes
    Do you know what number the locktite was that you used?