+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: CMS Mechanical Services

Post Likes

CMS Mechanical Services

Does anyone know anything about CMS Mechanical Services? I have my resume out there and have spoken with them before. I'm considering an interview, but don't really want to leave where I am unless it really is a better move. I'm currently working for a good union shop doing residential work. I'm curious about their work load; how consistent, type of work (I think it's mostly retail?), how much OT is typical, and how much on-call time? How is the work load distributed (e-mail, phone call from foreman, etc)? An organizational info as it pertains to the tech would be appreciated. How do they treat their techs? A lot to ask, I know, but I'm treated well where I am and paid an okay wage with good benefits. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTechMech View Post
    Does anyone know anything about CMS Mechanical Services? I have my resume out there and have spoken with them before. I'm considering an interview, but don't really want to leave where I am unless it really is a better move. I'm currently working for a good union shop doing residential work. I'm curious about their work load; how consistent, type of work (I think it's mostly retail?), how much OT is typical, and how much on-call time? How is the work load distributed (e-mail, phone call from foreman, etc)? An organizational info as it pertains to the tech would be appreciated. How do they treat their techs? A lot to ask, I know, but I'm treated well where I am and paid an okay wage with good benefits. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Are you under a Resi. agreement that uses Resi. (Metal Trades) designations like Resi. Journeyman, Resi. Trainee 1-3? Does your company do commercial refrigeration or chillers! If not, are you leaving because of the limitations of your company?

Post Likes
    We have our own, local agreement. We have totally different pay scale (much less), insurance, by-laws, etc. We cannot do chillers or any work over a certain tonnage. We refer all large work to another large union contractor. It seems that nobody is looking for a 3rd year apprentice except for non-union. I either have too much experience (for filter and belt changes) or too little experience (for chiller and boiler tear downs, etc). There was a 3rd year apprentice before me and it took him about a year to find work. Since I currently have a job, I think they usually will go for another guy and it's proving very difficult to get back into the commercial/industrial world. Honestly, I'm getting a little bored with residential and a little tired of the terrible seasonal slow downs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTechMech View Post
    We have our own, local agreement. We have totally different pay scale (much less), insurance, by-laws, etc. We cannot do chillers or any work over a certain tonnage. We refer all large work to another large union contractor. It seems that nobody is looking for a 3rd year apprentice except for non-union. I either have too much experience (for filter and belt changes) or too little experience (for chiller and boiler tear downs, etc). There was a 3rd year apprentice before me and it took him about a year to find work. Since I currently have a job, I think they usually will go for another guy and it's proving very difficult to get back into the commercial/industrial world. Honestly, I'm getting a little bored with residential and a little tired of the terrible seasonal slow downs.
    If you're in OH, look into McQuay Factory Service. They're Union up there. Look into an Apprentice position, they might lock you into Tradesman or Serviceman. If that's the case, it'll be up to you if you want to be in those positions.

Post Likes
    Thanks, but no dice.

Post Likes
    It'd be a better place for all of us if non-Union companies were more competative on wages. The equivalent of 70%-80% of Union HVACR Jm isn't a lot to ask for someone being a commercial refrigeration mechanic.
    When I speak of the Union, I mean the UA (the true HVACR Union) unless otherwise noted.

in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes
    I would ask questions that exacly describe what will be expected of you when it comes to generating revenue beyond responding to your assigned work and servicing or repairing the equipment you are sent to pm and what revenue percentages must be generated through selling parts over labor for repairs dicovered on pm's. I would also ask what pressure will be placed on you to keep your Revenue "Numbers" up once you have placed all of your accounts in your area in good working order.....I would suggest getting clarifaction from any prospective employer, not just CMS....I would also seek out someone that works for them that might share their thoughts about their job, both good and bad.......Good luck
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

Post Likes
    These Guys used to do alot of the third party installs for my old company, talked to the tech about how it was to work for CMS.

He told me your production / goals are closley monitered. But it was nothing he couldnt handle.

He was working about 60 hrs a week(summer 0f 2010). Dont know how much he was paid a hour. He worked on commercial HVAC and refrigeration.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. I usually don't really go for a job if I'm wavering on my decision. Like I think I said before, I'm comfortable with the people I work with now, I get an okay wage, decent benefits, and it's pretty low pressure. They send me to a job and leave me alone usually. Every time I ask for a tool (covered under the contract), they provide it. My big problem here is the slow down after Christmas every year. I know it slows down everywhere, but this is the worst I have ever experienced. I'm still trying to adjust to the residential environment. I probably won't even send them my resume or pursue their e-mail about a job (probably pretty automatic e-mails anyhow). I don't really want to leave the UA for a company I'm not familiar with and I'm not that crazy about refrigeration. If it were a UA job that was soley refrigeration, that would be one thing because I focus on that niche, learn it well, and make a good wage plus good benefits. For refrigeration here and there with a non-union company... too many variables I think. I didn't know they did any refrigeration before.

Post Likes

dont do it

i worked for them in florida. they were terrible worst place ever.expect you to drive a truck that breaks down all the time and when it does get it fixed on your time and still finish what you were trying to do when your truck broke down. i averaged about 80 hours there. tons of winshield time. and tons of paperwork i can elaborate more on what i know if you want but i strongly reccomend you dont work there

11. Likes Jiim Null liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's good to know. Up here in Ohio all their trucks look pretty new. Is it mostly retail work? Were they pretty competitive in their pay/benefits? What tools do they provide? Are they more about sales or customer service? Strict goals? How independent are their techs (at the office every day, never, weekly)?

Post Likes
    One more question. Do they go after young techs or do they have a balance of rookies and seasoned pro's?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    i worked for them in florida. they were terrible worst place ever.expect you to drive a truck that breaks down all the time and when it does get it fixed on your time and still finish what you were trying to do when your truck broke down. i averaged about 80 hours there. tons of winshield time. and tons of paperwork i can elaborate more on what i know if you want but i strongly reccomend you dont work there

You must admit , You probally learned alot about yourself during those long drives from town to town painting rusting screw heads "Rust Protection Measure". You probally have a much clearer Definition about where your own personal, ethical bounderies reside. There are many people that take for granite that all companys hold the same moral standards and never get this lesson...............so why the gripe???

Post Likes
    When CMS, under the NexTech name, first expanded into El Paso our prevailing wage and Union scale wage were at $21.25/Hr. The NexTech guy said he was @ $25/Hr., not bad. Now years later were @ $29.91/Hr Union scale wage which is now above prevailing wage and the other guy is still around $25/Hr.

Post Likes

gripe

well i guess you guys have a point i did learn alot about myself. and ethics are a huge part of the industry at least for some. i was told by the guy that did my training when i started that i would have to lose my consciense if i wanted to work there. if you dodnt have a problem lying to customers and selling things they dont need. if you dont keep pace and have your sales and numbers on track you will get in trouble.example: you are sent to a retail store for a pm and you are given a list of things to do change belts filters and such. also you are give a nte of say 800 dollars. you have to charge out 800 dollars in repairs even when nothing is wrong. so for my critics i thought what they were asking was morally wrong if your only concern is how much money you get than go ahead and work there. maybe you will have a diffrent experience in another part of the country.

Post Likes
    they hire whoever they can because they cant keep people.average length of employment around here is a few months.

18. Likes Jiim Null liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I disagree with you on the replacing parts things. You as a tech try to make the unit run as efficient as possible and it is a preventive maintenance and not replace what is broken. I know its sometimes hard to find anything wrong with some things but some equipment there are more things that can be changed. The employers always expect you to replace something, if they give you an $800 window then change something. taking amp draws is a big thing. Even changing a thermostat is something. or even making the wiring a little neater in the panel is something you can do for a few hrs.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

20. Dislikes Jiim Null disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don't know anything about CMS, but if you are in ohio, then look into Engineering Excellence. I worked as a remote tech in Chicago. I thought they were a good bunch of folks. There was no profit tracking to my knowledge. If there was, they put no pressure on me. That and finding stuff that's wrong or broken on poorly maintained HVAC equipment is a no brainer. I left out of boredom. I worked on the retail side. They had plenty of work.

They have two sides of the business. National retail, and full service in there local offices. I would look to get in on the Full service side.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by akelesis View Post
    I disagree with you on the replacing parts things. You as a tech try to make the unit run as efficient as possible and it is a preventive maintenance and not replace what is broken. I know its sometimes hard to find anything wrong with some things but some equipment there are more things that can be changed. The employers always expect you to replace something, if they give you an $800 window then change something. taking amp draws is a big thing. Even changing a thermostat is something. or even making the wiring a little neater in the panel is something you can do for a few hrs.

What flavor of Kool-Aid did they serve you??............I think you may have missed the point. Pressuring your Mechanics to Sell parts when none are needed for the sake of generating revenue is NOT in the best intrests of My customers. Dressing up messy wiring is noble, but generating a "PM ADD" and charging a couple hours labor to keep from being counceled about your "Numbers",,,,,REALLY??? Why not simply Don a ski mask and hold them up? It would be more ethical than gaining their trust and then stealing from them .........

23. Likes Jiim Null liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well... CMS didn't work out but I have a different problem now.

Company A (non-union) offered me a job making substantially more than I do now and I get to work on commercial equipment (good thing). However, I would also work on quite a bit of refrigeration and kitchen equipment (not my favorite). Another pro is that they'll pay for tuition to go to community college to get many different certifications, but I pay for books. Good health, dental, vision for low premiums. I have to provide hand tools and most specialty tools.

Company B (union) hasn't officially offered me the job yet. I spoke with the manager today and he wants to bring me in for an interview. The conversation went VERY well and I think I'll get a job offer. The problem is, he's not sure when exactly he can hire somebody, but he believes they'll hire someone in May. Same health benefits as Company A but I don't pay the premiums. The work is more in line with what I want to do. They won't send me to community college, but I will have to finish my apprenticeship (1.5 years more). I'd rather get certificates from a college than just finish my apprenticeship. In about 6 months, I'd be making around $4.50 more than Company A offered. I already have all the hand tools I need and they provide all specialty tools.

I hope I can get the interview within the next 3 days to see how good my chances are at Company B. AAAAAGH!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in