+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do I need a reciver ?

Post Likes

do I need a reciver ?

Thanks for your input on my last post titled "new to chillers" . I see it generated a lot of replies about my question on the y/delta starter. This may do the same . I want to eliminate the old water cooled condenser which was being used as a receiver. I have 100 feet of 1 5/8" od cu pipe liquid line. The air cooled condenser is about 6 feet above the TXV. It seems to me that since it will only run in cooling and the weather should be warm, that the liquid line would be large enough to be my receiver . What say you all ? I need to know asap if I am making a mistake here. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by johnnyb; 04-03-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    Does the unit pump down at all? It should be OK since the TXV is only 6' away and the condenser should be able to take most of the refrigerant.

It should run just fine with out a receiver, however it will be a "critically charged" unit. Basically, once it becomes a leaker, you'll know about it right away.

Post Likes
    the condenser is 100 feet away and 6 feet vertically higher than the txv. This would give mea alot of volume for refrigerant in the iquid line . right ? or not?

Post Likes

pump down

yes it evidently pumps down because it has a low pressure switch and a 3 way solenoid that controls the suction gas to the txv. It was explained how it works in one of the replies to "new to chillers" .

Post Likes
    Edit: Read your other thread. Apparently it pumps down at the TEV. You'd probably be OK with out a reciever but if you eliminate it then you need to pump it down and watch that head pressure. The condenser can only hold so much refrigerant.

Post Likes
    recievers are generally needed if...
    1. the condenser can not reasonably hold the extra refrigerant due to a pump down situation

2. head pressure controls are needed and used due to low ambient conditions

both of these cases mean that the 'normal refrigerant holding volume' of the condenser changes dramatically during the course of the units operation to the point where the units operation is negatively affected by the extra refrigerant volume.

your need for a receiver needs to be determined by you since you know the conditions and the equipment. if you need a reciever, the next question is how big and there are a lot of questions that need to be answered to size it.

recievers hold EXTRA refrigerant...the liquid line is not a reciever and it should not be treated as one.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in