+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Arizona.

Post Likes

A question about Arizona.

I'm thinking about moving over to the next neighboring Local Union's jurisdiction. Do you need any kind of state ACR certification in AZ? In NM, a journeyman refrigeration certification is required, even for an entry level. In TX, an ACR registration or certification is required. Let me know.

Post Likes
    who what and where do i get all these certification need to know asap

Post Likes
    subscribing

Post Likes
    With some mechanical's, you will need to get the Tucson or Phoenix journeyman license, don't know about the outlying areas. Myself, I never had to get and I did well. They will give you a year to get it. As far as UA, in Phoenix it is 469.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by smilies View Post
    With some mechanical's, you will need to get the Tucson or Phoenix journeyman license, don't know about the outlying areas. Myself, I never had to get and I did well. They will give you a year to get it. As far as UA, in Phoenix it is 469.
    Local Union 469 is statewide AZ, I think they absorbed a Local in Tucson. The Jm for Tucson & the counties in SE AZ are a lower scale wage than in Phoenix. My concern is a city, county or state certification for service techs, such as the journeyman license you mentioned.

Post Likes
    I headed out to PHX for a personal interview with a national company. This company has a Local agreement with Local 469, they don't do National Agreements. I took it upon myself to contact the other nation companies that are National signatories. No dice. I visited the Local on my way back to TX. I was told about two dispaches in Tucson. I stopped in Tucson and interviewed with both those companies. I was hired before I sat down, by the second one. Now this goes back to - how many companies is too many? Look we're somehow in the same Union with Plumbers, Pipefitters, Steamfitters, Sprinklerfitters and Pipe Welders. All these workers, as Journeymen, could have in a 30 year career, worked with over 30 contractors. So how many is too many? In HVACR, you're looking to go career with a contractor, but what if the work's not there? I guess I'll make my way around as long as there's work, even if it is too many. With the national company in Phoenix, I know it'll be a while since a decision is rendered, so I'll do my best to honor this contractor in Tucson that gave me a chance.

Post Likes
    I actually live in Tucson and am just getting my start in Hvac. What kind of work? I'm curious to know the companies. I figured most of the union stuff would be in Phoenix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    I headed out to PHX for a personal interview with a national company. This company has a Local agreement with Local 469, they don't do National Agreements. I took it upon myself to contact the other nation companies that are National signatories. No dice. I visited the Local on my way back to TX. I was told about two dispaches in Tucson. I stopped in Tucson and interviewed with both those companies. I was hired before I sat down, by the second one. Now this goes back to - how many companies is too many? Look we're somehow in the same Union with Plumbers, Pipefitters, Steamfitters, Sprinklerfitters and Pipe Welders. All these workers, as Journeymen, could have in a 30 year career, worked with over 30 contractors. So how many is too many? In HVACR, you're looking to go career with a contractor, but what if the work's not there? I guess I'll make my way around as long as there's work, even if it is too many. With the national company in Phoenix, I know it'll be a while since a decision is rendered, so I'll do my best to honor this contractor in Tucson that gave me a chance.
    Interesting, good luck.

If you need some helpdown there in industrial/commercial refrigeration let me know.

Post Likes
    What ever you do, don't be scared of the Union. Go to the UA Local website and look for the signatory contractors in Tucson, there's about seven listed. Go inquire directly, there's two dispatches for Apprentices at two companies. Since you're not a Member, you can't be dispatched. If you're accepted by one of those two companies, you can join the UA after hire. Also JCI might be looking for a Service Tradesman, that's a locked in position equal, in pay, to a 1st year Apprentice except you don't advance.

Post Likes
    None of those companies sound familiar to me and I definitely haven't seen them around much, but there are so many companies out there, who knows. If you're into mechanical I know Sun Mechanical seems pretty big in Tucson. They do the U of A.

Post Likes
    Which don't seem familiar? The ones from the website? 1st year Apprentice starts at $14.85/Hr. plus benefits. Do what you feel is right for you.

Post Likes
    Yes, the ones listed on the web site. It would definitely be nice to land a job like that, I should probably look into it. I'm just saying, as far as companies that advertise and that I see driving around, they don't sound familiar. Not trying to say they are not good opportunities.

Post Likes
    I suggest any non-Union HVACR Service guys in Tucson with 10 years experience on Light Commercial Air Conditioning look at what they got going on. More than likely you're anti-Union or are just in the dark. If you're not over $29/Hr. with that experience, you're much better off working Union. POINT BLANK.

Post Likes
    I've got about 3 days experience

Post Likes
    Call us what you want "HVACR Tech Service Journeyman", "HVACR Service Journeyman", "Refrigerationfitter", "HVACR Servicefitter", etc. or any variant. There's work in Arizona, don't always ask the Hall, you might get the response about 10s or 100s of guys sitting. I'll bet not many HVACR guys, especially HVACR Service. In AZ, there's no HVACR guys sitting. As a matter of fact, there's a shortage. The Hall can't fill any requests for dispatches in HVACR, that's why street hires are so popular here.

Post Likes
    Is there a need for industrial/commercial refrigeration mechanics?

Post Likes
    BT or Service? I don't know if there's any true BT-HVACR, there's a shortage of Service-HVACR - from Apprentices to Journeymen.

Post Likes
    both

Post Likes
    Service Journeymen-HVACR are in demand here, the Local Union Hall can't provide any. That's why street hires are popular here. The contract is kind of weird, if you're working non-Applied or under 100TR, that's Commercial Service. If you're working Applied or over 100TR, then that's Applied Service - the premium is $5/Hr. over Commercial. It's paid hour-for-hour. Also Tucson and surrounding counties are a lower scale wage than the rest of the state.

Post Likes
    i'll be packing my bags.

thanx for the info, perhaps I can buy you coffee/beer/drink

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in