annual maintenance

My husband and I are purchasing a new home with a geothermal heat. We are wondering if there is any annual maintenance that needs to be done. Also is there any way to tell what type of sytem we have. What should we look for?

Thanks, Rae

why do you say it is a geothermal and wonder if it IS a geothermal
    usually geothermal is forced air (ducted) and has a ground loop which collects/rejects heat depending on the operating mode

maintenance requirements are generally the same as a typical system
    the water quality of the water loop should be checked for abnormal conditions...you dont want a leak in that...

air filters, cleaning indoor coil and motor, tightening electrical connections and checking refrigerant charge...look for a company with geothermal experience

in other words it is a heatpump where the outdoor unit is underground..

Ok thanks for the comments on the maintenance. I guess I wasn't clear on my other question about the type. I have been doing some reading and I see "open loop" closed loop" " horizontal vertical" and I guess systems that go beneath water. I didn't know if there was any way to tell about that or if it even matters.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Mechanic View Post
    why do you say it is a geothermal and wonder if it IS a geothermal
    usually geothermal is forced air (ducted) and has a ground loop which collects/rejects heat depending on the operating mode

maintenance requirements are generally the same as a typical system
    the water quality of the water loop should be checked for abnormal conditions...you dont want a leak in that...

air filters, cleaning indoor coil and motor, tightening electrical connections and checking refrigerant charge...look for a company with geothermal experience
    Water furnace specifically says not to put gauges on unless a problem is suspected our trainer said he hasnt taken his gauges out of his truck for years

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Mechanic View Post
    usually geothermal is forced air (ducted)

checking refrigerant charge...look for a company with geothermal experience
    geothermal actually takes many forms and is often radiant or forced air or fan coils off hydronic systems. They can be a package unit, a split system with an indoor unit or a split system with an outdoor unit. You might have a desuperheater you might not. a good company can tell you what you have and how to best operate it. The loop also "may" need some checking but mostly just ensure its operating properly(holding pressure if it is a pressurized system) and has good EWt and LWT numbers.

If it is a package unit the refrigerant system should NOt be checked as they come factory charged and have so little refrigerant in them that putting gauges on can mess up performance.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    geothermal actually takes many forms and is often radiant or forced air or fan coils off hydronic systems. They can be a package unit, a split system with an indoor unit or a split system with an outdoor unit. You might have a desuperheater you might not. a good company can tell you what you have and how to best operate it. The loop also "may" need some checking but mostly just ensure its operating properly(holding pressure if it is a pressurized system) and has good EWt and LWT numbers.

If it is a package unit the refrigerant system should NOt be checked as they come factory charged and have so little refrigerant in them that putting gauges on can mess up performance.
    We do some water to waterunits that feed a buffer tank on th load side, that is used for in floor heating great units so far