+ Reply to Thread

Thread: automated logic training

Post Likes

automated logic training

We have a new $5 million dollar upgrade to Automated Logic in our facility. The AL representative provided a few training classes to my technicians. However the quality of the training left my mechanics with more questions than answers. I need to find good training for my people and have unlimited resources to do so. The rep insists I have to go through them for training. Is there an alternative?

Thank you.

Post Likes
    Google a company called Tempcon. Jim is really good at teaching ALC controls.
    This recession won't be over until we raise a generation that knows how to live on what they’ve got.

Post Likes
    Theres possibly a few ALC guys here that do consulting that may be more than happy to help so wait til you get a few hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    I tried to get ALC training also.The guys on here were helpful in suggesting solutions.The feeling I got was you have to go through the installer.I'll stay tuned to see how it turns out.

Post Likes
    Email Address Removed or call 770-795-5177 Maybe this info will help. The training is a little high but it is worth it. Your installer may not like you bypassing them but these are the guys who invented the controls.
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 04-10-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Email Address Removed

Post Likes
    If the dealer is reluctant you are encouraged to contact ALC directly. Basic training is a perk I believe but there is a lot more you can purchase. Check out what they have because there are different levels of complexity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OEM Master View Post
    If the dealer is reluctant you are encouraged to contact ALC directly. Basic training is a perk I believe but there is a lot more you can purchase. Check out what they have because there are different levels of complexity.
    Were you offered the video training disks? There are multiple disks that you can get with video training classes that can be loaded on your guys computer so you can train them all at their own pace and have the trainng for future techs also. Pretty good training, in multiple "classes", such as Operator, Engineering and Tools (I think).

Most dealers give these out complimentary, but I'm sure some don't.

Post Likes
    Anyone have a copy I can borrow?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacmedic View Post
    We have a new $5 million dollar upgrade to Automated Logic in our facility. The AL representative provided a few training classes to my technicians. However the quality of the training left my mechanics with more questions than answers. I need to find good training for my people and have unlimited resources to do so. The rep insists I have to go through them for training. Is there an alternative?

Thank you.
    what type of training are you looking to get? the owners manual should cover the functionality of the controls like, trending, schedules, set points, override, graphics, calibrations and some trouble shooting etc.. you may not get into programming the logic and that's where most control companies will say its proprietary. but you will find the best training is just working with it on a daily basis. The main issue is time, giving your techs time to sit and read and read and explore. with all that said, if your not dealing with controls everyday, you quickly forget. several years ago while working in a pharmaceutical plant we assigned two main techs to controls which than crossed trained others.

Post Likes
    The help file helped me alot when I first started with ALC. I printed the file and gave to other techs where we could study it.

Post Likes
    ALC is not proprietary.

Post Likes
    Roughly where are you located and what type of facility? It'll be important to find someone who understands the mechanical systems as well as the Automated Logic control side. Depending on your branch, sometimes their training misses the mark since they don't understand the mechanical side. Also, don't get caught up relying on your branch exclusively. There are lots of resources, the trick is finding a good one.

Post Likes
    I have seen that ALC has some WebCTRL training videos that some of our techs got, but this was back in the 2.0 days and I haven't seen anything newer. Also some of our techs went to Kennesaw, Georgia for factory training again more geared to technician level. Not much on the customer side factory direct that I have found.

For the user we usually do two or three short classes with the customer during commissioning for ten minutes or so basic functionality and then get people together for something a little more in depth when the site is up and running say forty minutes, that's part of the wrap up and saying the commissioning is done. Then we offer a two or three day course (added cost$$) and the customer can either send their people to Ohio or we can ship out an instructor and do it on site. Geared to SiteScan of course, not really something you want to send a WebCTRL customer to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OEM Master View Post
    If you are who I think you are you might want to fill out your profile and add a signature to lend some credibility to your posts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I have seen that ALC has some WebCTRL training videos that some of our techs got, but this was back in the 2.0 days and I haven't seen anything newer. Also some of our techs went to Kennesaw, Georgia for factory training again more geared to technician level. Not much on the customer side factory direct that I have found.

For the user we usually do two or three short classes with the customer during commissioning for ten minutes or so basic functionality and then get people together for something a little more in depth when the site is up and running say forty minutes, that's part of the wrap up and saying the commissioning is done. Then we offer a two or three day course (added cost$$) and the customer can either send their people to Ohio or we can ship out an instructor and do it on site. Geared to SiteScan of course, not really something you want to send a WebCTRL customer to.
    They video training is available for V3.0/4.1 and newer ones for 5.2 are available on operator, engineering I and II and Tools (i.e. LogicBuilder, ViewBulders and SiteBuilder). If you have an account, you can download the .iso files to burn to CD or play directly on any computer you put them on.

Also, the factory does offer multiple sessions for Owner Training, they do ask that it be coordinated via the local dealer but that isn't mandatory, I would suggest a call to the Regional Sales Manager at ALC.

Post Likes
    On the OEM side I don't have a dealer account to see all these things but I will note it so we can get them through our channels. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oshieldsa14 View Post
    ALC is not proprietary.
    ROLF

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    No can do my friend.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in