Probably many diff. opinions but what does the consensus say as to where is the best place to place the thermostat(Infinity, in this case).better in a warmer room, or in a cooler room....I do know inside wall is a must.
    Thanks
    George

geoss54

As you stated, thermostats are to be located on inside wall preferably a hallway near a return and not a supply vent, away from any light source, heat source, or window.

Do not put the t-stat in a hallway, or dead air space. Locate it on a inside wall closest to the return in a room where you spend the majority of your time....i.e. family room. locate about 5 ft off floor, and make sure there are no "artificial" heat/cool sources near it...i.e a t.v., a supply vent, near a light,near a window. Good luck.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

What about a hallway where the main air return is? Would that be good or bad?

Originally posted by perel
    Goooood!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Originally posted by perel
    Bad. Although it's done alot,here anyways.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Ok boys, lets talk about Zoned systems!

best placement each zone:

#1) living room/family room, kitchen area

#2) Master bedroom, computer room, main hall, bathroom
    (returns located in the main hall)

#3) back of house (apt. for mom in law), wife MADE ME put
    central out there! (1 bedroom, 1 sitting room and
    1 small bathroom) with door to shut off from rest of
    house. She likes it hot! Sitting room has lots of
    windows!

I was always told near a return, away from heat and cool sources and about 5' up as well!

Citywide.

"I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

In a "cookie cutter" house where the main (or only) return is in the hall then that's the best place to put it. That way you get an averaging of return air from the various rooms and you have air moving across the thermostat which makes it more responsive. This results in a more consistant temperature and less swing between the on/off cycles.

In a home with multiple returns it isn't that simple, the thermostat still needs to be in moving air near a return but which return is the question. In this case I would say put it near the return in the room you spend the most time in.

I have multiple returns, and presently the thermostat is in the Living room in a spot next to an archway, and about2.5 feet away from a corner. There is a floor return about 7 feet away(4x12). I guess what I can do is try placing a digital thermostat around in different places and see if there is a big temp. fluctuation anywhere. The Living room that it is in now seems to be a bit warmer than other rooms because it gets the morning sun, but the sun does not hit the thermostat at all, and we keep the blinds down..........thanks.
    HGeorge