Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 31
  1. #1

    i have a question

    my husband is going to take the comprehensive refrigeration and ac class in boces in ny.we are moving to fla next july near the tampa area. can someone please tell me if the class is a good decision. its 5 months and $2000 and you get a certificate. is this job in demand?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    467
    Good solid HVAC-R techs are very much in demand.
    Rather then pay 2k id suggest getting into an apprenticeship training program and let someone else pay for it.
    This is a career where 5 months of training and a piece of paper isn't gonna do much when your out in the field.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    7,041
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Good solid HVAC-R techs are very much in demand.
    Rather then pay 2k id suggest getting into an apprenticeship training program and let someone else pay for it.
    This is a career where 5 months of training and a piece of paper isn't gonna do much when your out in the field.
    X2, save the 2k and spend it on tools when he gets a job as a helper. He's going to be a helper/apprentice/newbie for a while certificate or not.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    X2, save the 2k and spend it on tools when he gets a job as a helper. He's going to be a helper/apprentice/newbie for a while certificate or not.
    right now there are no helper/apprentice jobs in our area. he is a coach bus driver now. but was looking for a change

  5. #5
    so he would be able to get a job as a helper with no experience there?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,041
    Why isn't he posting on here? This is a great site. Have him sign up and start reading this daily. He will learn way more here than in any class

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    309
    If your husband doesnt have the initiative, curiosity, and drive to post questions like this himself....he wont be a very good tech. And neither would you; you couldnt even figure out this wasnt the right forum for this question.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    1,294
    I don't know what these guys are talking about. An apprenticeship training program is usually a union deal. A union isn't going to train someone for free in 5 months just so they can move and get a job in a mostly non-union state like Florida.

    I am in the union here in Minneapolis, and I went through their 5 year apprenticeship program. It wasn't easy to get in to, and before they would even consider my application I had to complete a technical school that I paid for myself (a 2 year program). Then I had to pass their test proving that I already knew about hvac and the refrigeration process.

    The route that your husband wants to go might or might not be a good decision. This job is very much in demand, and good money can be made. A 5 month program that only costs 2000 bucks could help your husband get his foot in the door somewhere, but I wouldn't expect much from it. I would bet that most people who get good careers in this trade go through a tech school that is longer than 5 months and much more expensive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL 32259
    Posts
    299
    I suggest he go for it. He'll learn a little about HVAC and it'll help get him a job in FL.


    Best wishes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,082
    There is a demand for HVAC/R techs in Florida. Whether or not he will be able to find a good paying job just starting out, is the question. Besides the school, he'll need some expeience too, so he should tart looking for position in NY now also.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Servicerunner View Post
    If your husband doesnt have the initiative, curiosity, and drive to post questions like this himself....he wont be a very good tech. And neither would you; you couldnt even figure out this wasnt the right forum for this question.
    Perhaps he isn't a person that likes computers.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Perhaps he isn't a person that likes computers.
    Then this would be a very poor choice for him as a career. Most everything these days is circuit boards and computer control.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,082
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Then this would be a very poor choice for him as a career. Most everything these days is circuit boards and computer control.
    Still lots of Plain Jane thermostats, furnace and A/C control boards. That no computer skills are needed.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event