Question EPA license test question

I'm looking at trying to get a EPA license to handle refrigerant, not sure yet if I will go into the trade or shadow for awhile..

Anyways I assume most do the universal test? Any good study material?

Go to a supplyhouse and ask for the material. I personally liked the mainstream engineering course.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Just go on line and ask for 608 sample test and study guide.or local trade school.only couple hundred for overview and test.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post
    I'm looking at trying to get a EPA license to handle refrigerant, not sure yet if I will go into the trade or shadow for awhile..

Anyways I assume most do the universal test? Any good study material?
    GET An epa buy some refrigerant and start charging people to charge their units then when things go haywire and your luck runs out you can call one of us or go on utube to find out how to fix it.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Why are people that are in a trade are so hostile to people who want to learn? It never fails

Do you know super heat, sub cool, desired VSAT, How and when to find target superheat. Just shoving freon is not the best policy....
    Bright side is the epa test does not have much info for being a tech

Why are people that are in a trade are so hostile to people who want to learn? It never fails
    Let me tell you why Subaru. All day long people call on the phone and complain about the service call charge. Like I like to drive to your house for free. Then if you talk them into that they look up the price on the telephone and say hey thats only a ten dollar part, Like my expertise has absolutely no value. Or they call on the phone and ask how much do I charge for the part they ordered online that they think is the broken one, usually a tstat. Or they call three days in a row asking when I can come out then hang up when it's time to set the appointment cuz their son said he almost has it fixed again. The bottom line is we are running business just like the dude at the gas station do you try to buy gas then ***** about the cost. I take good care of my customers but when someone starts DEVALUING my experience and luck yes luck I get pissed, then they say oh I'm just trying to learn, why so you can screw me over? IWhat about the one that says I got a used unit in my backyard how much to put it in?? ZERO cuz I won't do it. Then they get mad cuz they think I'm obligated to rip off their dumb arses, which I don't do. Want to learn some more?
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

That is because we are trying to thicken your skin for this trade, if you decide to enter it. You will need some very thick skin to survive this trade.

It also is some sort of initiation.

Don't take it personally.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Let me tell you why Subaru. All day long people call on the phone and complain about the service call charge. Like I like to drive to your house for free. Then if you talk them into that they look up the price on the telephone and say hey thats only a ten dollar part, Like my expertise has absolutely no value. Or they call on the phone and ask how much do I charge for the part they ordered online that they think is the broken one, usually a tstat. Or they call three days in a row asking when I can come out then hang up when it's time to set the appointment cuz their son said he almost has it fixed again. The bottom line is we are running business just like the dude at the gas station do you try to buy gas then ***** about the cost. I take good care of my customers but when someone starts DEVALUING my experience and luck yes luck I get pissed, then they say oh I'm just trying to learn, why so you can screw me over? IWhat about the one that says I got a used unit in my backyard how much to put it in?? ZERO cuz I won't do it. Then they get mad cuz they think I'm obligated to rip off their dumb arses, which I don't do. Want to learn some more?
    I've got to agree with that statement.

More to the point, who looks into getting their EPA license if they're not even sure about going into the trade? You shouldn't be handling refrigerant unless you're a full-fledged technician, not a handyman or DIYer.

Curiosity about how refrigeration works is one thing, but there's no need to get a license unless you plan on making a legitimate career out of it. Nobody jumps through those hoops without some half-minded idea about casually practicing HVAC. And like toocoolforschool drives home, that undermines our ability to make an honest living.

We don't invest thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars to do what's best for the customer, meanwhile, a hack comes off the street and offers to only emulate what we do for less, screws up the customer's equipment, then erodes the trust between customers and genuine tradesmen who try to do what's right.

So try to understand our frustration when someone comes out of nowhere asking how they can obtain a license with barely an inkling of motivation or devotion to making a career out of it.
    Last edited by CircusEnvy; 07-13-2014 at 11:03 AM.

I got my study guide, books and CD's for the EPA Exam at my local Johnstone for a C note, and that includes the actual proctored test when you are ready to sit for it.. My package was Quick product by Mainstream Engineering. Most HVAC supply houses carry the study / material.

Took me about 6 days to study for the test and about 1-2 hours or so for the proctored test itself. It's not too difficult - read the study book 2-3 times, and review all the sample questions 2-3 times and you'll ace the exam. Don't casually just read, take the time to study and memorize, and take the test when the material is fresh in your mind- and you'll do fine. After the test, they seal the answers and send them off for grading - I got my universal card in the mail 5 days after the exam. It's pretty quick.

Good Luck

Agreed with the above comments, get into the trade before you get your card. Helpers/apprentices don't need them.
    Like has been said already we spend a ton of time and money making sure our customers get quality work done. HVAC work isn't all about "dumping in freon". Actually refrigerant isn't something I deal with every day. Most issues I face are electrical.
    The main reason we get touchy is all the time it takes getting to our customers. It gets real old getting calls saying my neighbor/brother/cousin/coworker fixed my unit and now it doesn't work at all.

A true hack wouldn't waste the time and effort to get an EPA.

Could be his first step into the trade..