Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    I've always been amused by the Adam and Eve story.

You've got an omnipotent being who puts a couple of kids in a garden.

"You kids go out and have fun. Do what ever you like, but don't touch my tree."

I mean really?

What did he expect was going to happen?

When I was a kid I thought that this story, the actual rising from the dead story, the whole flood and Noah story and Jonah with his whale etc. were meant to be parables.

It was when I realised that people took them to be gospel (pun intended) that I started to step back from the whole Christianity thing and take a good look at what exactly Christians did believe.

I found a lot of the philosophy attributed to Jesus enticing and still strive to live by it.

Forgiving those who trespass against me and not judging people is still a work in progress but I try.
    My friend, you have shown clearly what 'the knowledge of good and evil' is. Nothing personal meant here... just making an example: What would happen if someone stepped outside their thinking and looked at themselves (their entire life)? Would they be pleased with all they see? Or would they think; gee, maybe I would do better with leadership from a higher force that is always right?

IMO (based on decades of Scriptural study), this level of honesty is the basis of choosing God over self... thus the statement: The Christian life is not about me, it is about Christ.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    When I was a kid I thought that this story, the actual rising from the dead story, the whole flood and Noah story and Jonah with his whale etc. were meant to be parables.

It was when I realized that people took them to be gospel (pun intended) that I started to step back from the whole Christianity thing and take a good look at what exactly Christians did believe.

I found a lot of the philosophy attributed to Jesus enticing and still strive to live by it.
    There are still large swaths of Christianity who believe as you did/do that much of the bible is not meant to be taken literally. Most recently the Archbishop of Canterbury suggested that he didn't believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis.

"The Archbishop clarified that he did not believe the Book of Genesis should be read literally and that there was probably no 'first man'."

Granted, some Catholics would disagree with the protestant take on the first book of the Torah (Genesis), but I doubt that many would suggest that the Archbishop is not Christian.

"Why does the GOP budget resolution protect and indeed increase the wealth of the already wealthy at the expense of everyone else?"
    The GOP budget goes against Proverbs 22:16, which says, "He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich — both come to poverty."
    "Why does the GOP budget resolution take away the Medicare guarantee?"
    Leviticus 19:32, "You shall give due honor and respect to the elderly."
    "Why does the GOP budget resolution increase defense spending while cutting investments in our children and families?"
    Proverbs 16:11, "A just balance and scales are the Lord's."
    And probably the most obvious
    "Why does the GOP budget resolution take away food from the poor?"
    John 3:17 18, which states, "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

As God's Own Party they haven't exactly been very Christian in their behavior. I don't expect it is any different for any other politician.
    Fox News - Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    "Why does the GOP budget resolution protect and indeed increase the wealth of the already wealthy at the expense of everyone else?"
    The GOP budget goes against Proverbs 22:16, which says, "He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich — both come to poverty."
    "Why does the GOP budget resolution increase defense spending while cutting investments in our children and families?"
    John 3:17 18, which states, "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

As God's Own Party they haven't exactly been very Christian in their behavior. I don't expect it is any different for any other politician.
    You miss the point of the Scriptures: It is NOT the govt's responsibility or job to help the poor... it is a choice for each individual person to spend their personal time and $$$ to help the poor.

There is a personal reward for helping folks who NEED help. Govt programs usually end up helping professional moochers that are capable of getting a job and taking care of themselves.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    You miss the point of the Scriptures: It is NOT the govt's responsibility or job to help the poor... it is a choice for each individual person to spend their personal time and $$$ to help the poor.

There is a personal reward for helping folks who NEED help. Govt programs usually end up helping professional moochers that are capable of getting a job and taking care of themselves.
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post

Net, please don't try and spin the Bible. It is not the job of goverment to give away all our money to the poor or hungry. That is our job. Let the government do the bidding of the State, not the responsibility of the citizens.

As all entitlements need to be fixed and amended as to how they give and how much they give, they should probably all be dismantled and new programs implemented that help only the childeren, aged and infirmed who cannot care for themselves. Entitlements that breed dependence are not a form of help, love or empathy.

My friend, your dog don't hunt!

Just a couple of things; even I don't expect a Christian to be perfect. Being human means that mistakes are our lot in life. Why do you think Jesus needed to make a sacrifice in the first place? Because we have no hope of living error free lives. Zip, zero, none.

Secondly, a very smart man named Voltaire was the one who said "if there were no God then it would be necessary for man to create him".

Voltaire was not speaking of Christians per se, he was speaking of mankind as a whole.

Though perfection is a state unachievable, that doesn't mean we should not strive for it. It's the struggle that defines us. It is how we react to instinct that may not be considered civilized that defines us.

Some need God to walk at their side during this struggle and some don't. Neither position is superior, just different.

It is only when one side believes they have the only answer for all that the trouble starts.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

While we are on the subject of charity: I removed a functional 2.5 ton system with a servicable furnace last week, and at Church Sunday I received a lead to a family in need who I probably will install it FREE OF CHARGE (pastor and a few other men will help, along with cleaning their yard and a few other things needed)!

This is charity. Govts taking from the rich to give to the poor is NOT charity, it is legalized extortion.

I could get tacky and ask if any of the liberals have done any charity (given of their time and $$$) lately... however that would start the usual (and worthless) ARP-wars.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Just a couple of things; even I don't expect a Christian to be perfect. Being human means that mistakes are our lot in life. Why do you think Jesus needed to make a sacrifice in the first place? Because we have no hope of living error free lives. Zip, zero, none.

Secondly, a very smart man named Voltaire was the one who said "if there were no God then it would be necessary for man to create him".

Voltaire was not speaking of Christians per se, he was speaking of mankind as a whole.

Though perfection is a state unachievable, that doesn't mean we should not strive for it. It's the struggle that defines us. It is how we react to instinct that may not be considered civilized that defines us.

Some need God to walk at their side during this struggle and some don't. Neither position is superior, just different.

It is only when one side believes they have the only answer for all that the trouble starts.
    Good post!

While I would disagree with the first highlited paragraph... I wholly support the second.

IMO churches get into a 'marketing frenzy'... and forget it is God's job to draw folks to Him... not a believer's job to 'sell' their god to everyone.

Personally; I believe my God is not interested in how many knotches are in my Bible cover... rather He would prefer purity of attitude in my heart.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Thats a nice thing to do!

But you don't have to be a Christian to be charitable.

Im sure people were helping less fortunate folks even back in the good ol pagan days.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

So the US is not a Christian nation. This would mean a politician could run as an atheist and still have a chance to win? Can't have it both ways fellas. Religion plays a role in government or it doesn't.
    Fox News - Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame the poor.

The Old Testament is proof positive that a conservative cannot be a christian or theist of any sort, yet reigns as the spawn of Satan

Mankow 1: 01

Sorry: double post.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast