Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    What does this have to do with Christianity? Did Christ ever condone military action? He taught against all forms of retaliation.
    Have you ever heard of the "captain of the host of the LORD", in the Old Testament?
    Here's another one in the New Testament; the best picture of Jesus as Captain of the host is vividly portrayed in Revelation 19: 11-15:

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Did you know since Christ's ascension till His coming again is considered the Church dispensation period, a different period than what the OT was.

Back to the Captain of the Lord of Host; many theologians and believers believe this to be one of many pre-incarnate appearances of Christ. In this instance, He came to tell Joshua that He is fighting for Israel against Jericho with his armies.

Did you ever read that there is war in heaven (the second heaven); that Michael the Arch angel fights for Israel?

There is a means for War! The scriptures has a lot to say about it.

Christianity isn't about ME, it's about God!

Being a Christian doesn't mean a way around hard times, despair, poverty, etc... It's about a relationship with God that gets us through them. It isn't all about following rules either, it is simply stated, to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior! Not, accept him and follow 100 rules. You'll want to start living a better life as the spirit now lives in your heart!

I always hate trying to talk religion, it usually never goes anywhere for all party's involved.

All I can say is for 20 something years(32 yrs old now) I felt alone and empty in this world. Always searching for answers and fulfillment. The day I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior, that all went away.

Like I said earlier I usually don't discuss these things, it's your choice. Your relationship or lack of, is between you and God
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Quote Originally Posted by arc8 View Post
    Question: Does organized religion really believe in the Scriptures (God's Word).
    IMO; most of the larger 'religions' which claim to be Christian... are full of beliefs which are not in the Bible. What amazes me is: many of the folks who attend those churches do not even know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Christianity isn't about ME, it's about God!

Being a Christian doesn't mean a way around hard times, despair, poverty, etc... It's about a relationship with God that gets us through them. It isn't all about following rules either, it is simply stated, to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior! Not, accept him and follow 100 rules. You'll want to start living a better life as the spirit now lives in your heart!

I always hate trying to talk religion, it usually never goes anywhere for all party's involved.

All I can say is for 20 something years(32 yrs old now) I felt alone and empty in this world. Always searching for answers and fulfillment. The day I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior, that all went away.

Like I said earlier I usually don't discuss these things, it's your choice. Your relationship or lack of, is between you and God
    After reading this entire thread (well, to this point), these two posts are as close to my beliefs as any.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Christianity is not about religion, it is about a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus.
    HE is all that matters. Not carnal things, but things of the spirit.
    I have seen several posts in this thread that tell me that some get it, and some still resist.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    If I paraphrased that as, "priest found pedalling mysticism to be a better than working for a living", would I be close to what you're saying?
    priest , minister, preacher, yea you got it

I see the thread has thrown up the inconsistencies in the Testaments about war and such.

And that poor attempt to undermine Darwinian science has raised its misshapen head.

Intelligent design? a misnomer if ever there was one.

And about the most interesting bit I read, if I read it correctly, is that once you've accepted Jesus as you saviour you're in like Flynn whatever happens in your later life, as long as you're sorry about it before you cark it.

Almost makes me want to join your club.

And arc8? If you want an example of an un(dis?)organized religion, perhaps you should look at the Catholic church (my old Alma mater). They assimilate the mythology of conquered cultures and make it part of their mythos.

Then again, since that helps to keep the peasant in line, perhaps that's not so disorganised after all.

Which raises the subject of non Judeo-Christian religions and philosophies.

How do you fit them into your belief systems?

Do they rate a mention?

And just for the sake of harmony, how about we leave the "Satanically inspired Muslims" out for the time being?

Just to keep it civil?
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Being a Christian isnt about religion or going to any buildings or doing anything. It is about a relationship with Jesus Christ and confessing Him lord of our life. Once we do that we show our faith in Him out of our love to follow his ways. He stated the two greatest commands To love the Lord Your God with everything first and likened the second as equal that we had to love others as much as we love ourselves.Most everything we do falls into the two catagories. if we are honoring and loving God aad our fellowman this shows our faith in Jesus Christ.Good thread I have enjoyed reading both sides.

Here is something to think about:

In Genesis (the first book of the Bible); we read the story of Adam and Eve and the garden. In the last vs of Gen ch 2, we read that Adam and Eve were naked and not ashamed. Then in ch 3 we read they saw they were naked and were ashamed, and sewed together fig leaves to cover themselves. Now something happened between 'naked and not ashamed; and 'saw they were naked and were ashamed'.

The answer is the apple tree thing. The apple was not the issue (and dis-obedience to God was not the issue either)... the issue was Adam and Eve wanted to 'be like God' rather than be under God's protective authority. Scripture tells us when they ate the apple, their eyes were opened, and they saw good and evil.

So here we have a couple that had a perfect life given to them... yet they could not just accept it; they just could not handle being under God's authority. Rather, when given the opportunity they chose to blow it all just for a chance to 'be like God'.

Rebellion towards God is sin, simple and clear. Those that choose to live there will reap the rewards of that sin. Those that live in submission to God (as in accepting Jesus Christ and God as the Lord of their lives) will live in peace and joy.

So each of us has a choice: 'Do it my way'... or surrender to the leadership and authority of the King of the universe.

So which one makes more sense (no adding any other facts or details, just base the choice purely on what is written in the Bible in Gen ch 1-2-3)?

Off to church to worship the King of the universe.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

The Old Testament has nothing to do with being Christian. Jesus Christ was born, Crucified and died and rose after 3 Days to complete the various prophecies of the Old Testament.

Decide what you want to be. A Christian or a Bible thumping Fundamentalist, Cherry picking Holy man

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    The Old Testament has nothing to do with being Christian. Jesus Christ was born, Crucified and died and rose after 3 Days to complete the various prophecies of the Old Testament.

Decide what you want to be. A Christian or a Bible thumping Fundamentalist, Cherry picking Holy man
    Ace you need to get back on your meds bad, your talking nonsense as usual again. Gees give it a rest and us a break. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Mt 3:1,2: In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. - John the Baptist.

Mt 4:17: From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. - Jesus Christ

Is John the Baptist Old Testament or New testament prophet?
    Does any consider John and Jesus Bible Thumpers? They both preached and said Repent .... isn't that the message that Jesus Christ commission to His Church (Local visible churches) not organize religion, but an organize entity to "Go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever He has commanded us"?

Did you know that Jesus talked about the Ten Commandments. The way he talked about it, it seemed very relevant to us in the present.

Did you know "Christian" was not given to believers by God, like Baptist was!
    The word christian was given to Christ believers in Antioch by unbelievers; it was more like a swearword, many hated Christ-like people because they despise the Lord.

2Co 5:17: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

God does the Sanctification; the washing (daily). God has the power to raise us and the power to sanctify us, we are his workmanship.
    Suffice to say, I never met any unbeliever that ever understood or understands the Redemptive work of Christ and how the Holy Spirit seals his children forever.

The Church of Jesus Christ was never given any order to wage war and to conquer or even kill. The Church dispensation (NT) purpose was not the same as it was in the OT. There was no church in the OT.
    If a physicist can't see the difference between organized religion and God's plan; then I wouldn't consider them wise. It has fooled many and has lead many away from the true God of the Bible!

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Here is something to think about:

In Genesis (the first book of the Bible); we read the story of Adam and Eve and the garden. In the last vs of Gen ch 2, we read that Adam and Eve were naked and not ashamed. Then in ch 3 we read they saw they were naked and were ashamed, and sewed together fig leaves to cover themselves. Now something happened between 'naked and not ashamed; and 'saw they were naked and were ashamed'.

The answer is the apple tree thing. The apple was not the issue (and dis-obedience to God was not the issue either)... the issue was Adam and Eve wanted to 'be like God' rather than be under God's protective authority. Scripture tells us when they ate the apple, their eyes were opened, and they saw good and evil.

So here we have a couple that had a perfect life given to them... yet they could not just accept it; they just could not handle being under God's authority. Rather, when given the opportunity they chose to blow it all just for a chance to 'be like God'.

Rebellion towards God is sin, simple and clear. Those that choose to live there will reap the rewards of that sin. Those that live in submission to God (as in accepting Jesus Christ and God as the Lord of their lives) will live in peace and joy.

So each of us has a choice: 'Do it my way'... or surrender to the leadership and authority of the King of the universe.

So which one makes more sense (no adding any other facts or details, just base the choice purely on what is written in the Bible in Gen ch 1-2-3)?

Off to church to worship the King of the universe.
    I've always been amused by the Adam and Eve story.

You've got an omnipotent being who puts a couple of kids in a garden.

"You kids go out and have fun. Do what ever you like, but don't touch my tree."

I mean really?

What did he expect was going to happen?

When I was a kid I thought that this story, the actual rising from the dead story, the whole flood and Noah story and Jonah with his whale etc. were meant to be parables.

It was when I realised that people took them to be gospel (pun intended) that I started to step back from the whole Christianity thing and take a good look at what exactly Christians did believe.

I found a lot of the philosophy attributed to Jesus enticing and still strive to live by it.

Forgiving those who trespass against me and not judging people is still a work in progress but I try.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Roy, the Christian business sure is a lucrative one.

Im sure he is laughing all the way to the bank.
    His pet peccadillo would be greed then?

Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast