Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

christian

I am Christian. I seek to do the will of the Lord, to glorify God that is.
    Living the dream !!

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    As none of us are perfect (ALL have sinned ad gone astray) I try to adhere to HIS commands.
    His commands?
    As in the ten commandments given to Moses?

Are you just an old testament sort of bloke?

Or do you adhere to the teachings of Jesus from the new testament as well?

I guess that on judgement day or the rapture you'll find out if you've stayed close enough to the path.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Makinhole View Post
    I am Christian. I seek to do the will of the Lord, to glorify God that is.
    I'm pleased to hear that Makihole?

And what sorts of good works do you get up to to glorify God?
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

God is real.....

I saw him after eating some mushrooms.

Kidding!
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Shrooms'll do that for you man....

Now you're just being silly

Psalms 1:1, John 3:16 , And the very best to so called conservatives John 7:24.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    Good for you cehs. Do you adhere to those beliefs diligently or just give them lip service?

Can you say that you live by the teachings of Christ?

All of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    As none of us are perfect (ALL have sinned ad gone astray) I try to adhere to HIS commands.

I also am a christian and I also try to adhere to his commands and be the best person I can.

Unfortunately, there are people who call themselves christians and just use it as marketing

The worst place I have ever seen was northern south carolina-heart of the bible belt.....Every other person you met there had to announce Hi!, I am so and so and I'm a christian with a big glassy-eyed smile....The company I went to work for...the owner said "I run a christian company"....For example: everyone was required to buy their own uniforms-the bill came in and they paid-then the owner turned the bills into our distributor and got the uniforms paid for with CO-OP money....

Living there made me ashamed to be a christian.....I never announce it and rely upon "my deeds in relation to my words" Only......

People of any religion will always pick and choose which parts of their religious doctrine to abide by, based on how much it will inconvenience them. They will always find a way to justify their own interpretation.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

I believe that the basic definition of a Christian is following the teachings of Christ as revealed by the New Testament.

I agree with Coolwhip in that the institution of "religion" does more harm than good. Christianity as Christ taught goes far beyond and deeper than "religion" as it exists today.

The "turn the other cheek" teaching by Jesus is the one most professing Christians ignore. If you read the whole New Testament it is central to many of Christ's teachings.

Slatts, a question for you who look at Christianity from outside of it. What do you see as the "perfect" Christian? (As close as a fallible human could get to perfect, that is) What attributes would convince you that someone is truly a Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    People of any religion will always pick and choose which parts of their religious doctrine to abide by, based on how much it will inconvenience them. They will always find a way to justify their own interpretation.

This is what waters down religion to the point that it is in most cases meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    They will always find a way to justify their own interpretation.
    Maybe that is why Jesus did not write anything. He relied on the Holy Spirit to speak to everyone...even to so called non-Christians. But how do you form a religion and control the people with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    But how do you form a religion and control the people with that.
    You probably said this with a bit of sarcasm.

But controlling people is not found in the teachings of Christ. Power hungry people will use any means possible, including religion, to take control of others.

From my observations, I would be surprised if 1 in 20 politicians of any stripe believe there's a God.

Most of them, going by their actions, are in it for themselves and if professing to love Jasus will help them get their snout in the feed trough then by golly, they're going to be the loudest voice in the choir.

And as beshvac wrote, it's by no means limited to politicians.

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast