condensor-coil match
    Hi, it's been recommended to me to have a 2 ton 13 seer condensor with a 2.5 ton coil. someone also told me that this will not let me realize the full efficiency of the 13 seer (we have avery old probably 8 or 10 seer now)
    is that true?

If you have a 2 ton 8 or 10 SEER unit on a 2.5 ton coil it may have been rated at 12 SEER why do you want to upgrade

ok le me explain better i have an ancient inefficient condensor/coil.
    the installer for the new system is recommending a 2 ton condensor with a 2.5 ton coil. Is this going to make the system less efficent than if the coil and condensor were both 2 tons?

He should explain that the larger surface area will help in removal of heat and humidity in less time.

The indoor coil has no way of knowing what capacity the system is. The only thing that determines the capacity is the outdoor unit.

You should have an indoor coil installed that is ARI rated with whatever outdoor unit you have installed, no matter what brand you are dealing with.

If you have brand names and model numbers of the outdoor units and indoor coils you are being quoted, we can better inform you of their compatibility.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    The indoor coil has no way of knowing what capacity the system is. The only thing that determines the capacity is the outdoor unit.

You should have an indoor coil installed that is ARI rated with whatever outdoor unit you have installed, no matter what brand you are dealing with.

If you have brand names and model numbers of the outdoor units and indoor coils you are being quoted, we can better inform you of their compatibility.
    RoBoTeq is right we need numbers to make sure the parts are correctly matched

We used 4ton Lennox coils on two ton systems on pulse 90 gas heaters with a TXV worked great.

Originally posted by bzzline
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq

RoBoTeq is right we need numbers to make sure the parts are correctly matched

We used 4ton Lennox coils on two ton systems on pulse 90 gas heaters with a TXV worked great.

main thing is that it is a rated match from the manufacturer. we have been doing what looks like a mismatched system for over 20 yrs with high efficiency units but they are all lennox rated matches.