+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas Fireplace Direct vented to existing fireplace Chimney

Post Likes
    I was asked by a homeowner to install a direct vent fireplace in the corner of their living room, the new fireplace will be installed on a 45 (new construction). The living room currently has a wood fire place directly in corner which will be closed up. My question is can I hook up a zero clearance gas fireplace like a gas stove that uses a masonary chimney coaxial conversion kit?

Post Likes

venting configurations

Only if allowed by the mfr. as shown in their listed instructions.

Post Likes
    Why cant you just seal the top off and DV it like normal

Post Likes
    You might want to have a pro come look at it and see what can be done. Would recommend they install it also if its possible.

Post Likes
    The chimney is in the middle of the house, so there are no exterior walls to go through for the DV. The only way would be up the chimney.

Post Likes

Cool

If its a hearth technologies(heat and glo or royal)the manufacturer allows single exhaust piping with the flex liner used for the exhaust and the remaining interior of the chimney used for the combustion air,this is a manufacturer available accessory with a special termination.Most other manufacturers including majestic require dual(or co-axial)liners.
    Ethics are as important as education.

Post Likes
    Manufacture's Spec's are the code. Some units utilaize a chimney conversion kit that Simpson dura vent manufacturers, However The size of the area of the existing chimney must coinside with mnfg's specs. Some unit will use larger vents then the typical 6 5/8" depending on btu's. One thing is for sure with direct vent units " If it's not vented properly, Its not going to work correctly, or work at all for that matter"
    If manual is unclear look at Regency or Mendota or Lopi,
    These units are in my opinion geard toward that type of install.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in