Controls- Union or non Union

Hmm

Hey guys, I am new to the business and would like some advice. I am on the controls/commissioning side and make just under $19 to start. My company has positions open for Union Service apprentices and journeymen. Does anyone know Union wages for service mechanics in the chicago area? I may consider crossing over the union service side, what do you guys think?

Originally posted by mationman
    Hey guys, I am new to the business and would like some advice. I am on the controls/commissioning side and make just under $19 to start. My company has positions open for Union Service apprentices and journeymen. Does anyone know Union wages for service mechanics in the chicago area? I may consider crossing over the union service side, what do you guys think?
    I think you should use the "search" feature at the top of the main page here and you will find lots of threads on the union topic.

The union topic has been beaten to death here.

It would seem that it makes no difference about being union or not but rather what the wage scale is, You could check with the union members with your company and see if they have a copy of their contract to find out what the prevailing wage is for the position your seeking. Talk to the union steward and he should be able to provide you with any and all information concerning the bennies.

[Edited by retired btc on 05-29-2006 at 11:49 AM]
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)