A Walkin Mystery?

I'll try to make this as short as possible. Customer buys a used Walkin ( I actually call it a reachin because of its size) 4x6 that is in working order. The guy that disassembled it took it to customers work in pieces (refrigeration unit is a drop in roof mount so no lines cut etc.) before he left he leaned the refrigeration unit up against a wall and broke a line. It sat like that for a few weeks. I was called to install it. I replaced the filter/dryer and repair the broken line. Evac was for about 2 hours. The unit was originally r12 so I charged it with hot shot. Put exact amount it called for (@ 80% volume). The evap coil was only getting slightly cool on one side similar to a low refrigerant level. It was a favor and I was real busy so another guy came and evacuated it again and charged it and supposedly got it working right? Apparently now it is cooling properly except when it starts to get hot outside the unit will only cool to about 50 degs. ( outside temp 80+ degs) when it is cooler outside it apparently pulls down to proper temp easily. It is kind of out of my way to look at it or I would have done the work myself.

Just to pick your brains does anyone have a guess as to what is wrong with it? It's a long trip and I would love to have some ideas before I make the trip to look at it.

The guy is telling customer that compressor is bad but I think there may be blockage in one of the lines or possibly this unit just doesn't like hot shot. Any thoughts?

R12 Walk In COOLER running hot shot. Coils are clean, fans are functioning properly. I think the suction line was freezing from compressor to evap coil only and of course only getting slightly cold on the part of evap coil (little less than a 1/4 of coil getting cold)

Thanks, I appreciate any thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by jwsav View Post
    I think the suction line was freezing from compressor to evap coil only and of course only getting slightly cold on the part of evap coil (little less than a 1/4 of coil getting cold)
    Based off of that...

It sounds like liquid refrigerant is bypassing your evaporator coil through your TEValve equalizer line

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    Based off of that...

It sounds like liquid refrigerant is bypassing your evaporator coil through your TEValve equalizer line

I agree.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

You did a lot of typing but gave us very little information.

Read this.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158850

Talking

You said he said the guy said the compressor is bad?
    If he tried pumping it down to the receiver and it doesn't, then it is. That'd be what I'd do first.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

Northern area between Alantic and Pacific
    bad txv is my thought.