New Rheem System - Should I get a 500 Series Thermostat?

I live in Florida (Manatee County) and I just had the following Rheem System installed today:

Condenser Model RPRL060JEC
    Air Handler Model RHPLHM6024JC

From what I can tell, this equipment is "communicating capable."

From what I've read here it sounds like I'd need to have something like a Rheem Series 500 Thermostat to make the "communicating" functionality work.

Prior to the installation, I spoke with the installer about it. He is familiar with the 500 Series Thermostat, and was willing to install one. But I didn't get the sense that he recommended it.

The currently installed thermostat is a Pro1IAQ T925 Thermostat (Up to 3 Heat, 2 Cool, 7 day or 5/1/1 Programmable). I haven't got to go through the system with the installer yet, but it sounds like the air handler is running at 2 different speeds (which seems like a good thing).

Anyway, before the installer comes back and we finish things up, I'd like to get some opinions from the members on this forum whether the 500 series thermostat would be of benefit for this system.

Thanks in advance!
    -Mike

The 500 control gives you a bit more control over the system. Where it really shines is giving error codes and history of operation assuming you want to know all this!

If you stay with the current stat, make sure they have the on demand dehumidification hooked up so you can benefit from that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The 500 control gives you a bit more control over the system. Where it really shines is giving error codes and history of operation assuming you want to know all this!

If you stay with the current stat, make sure they have the on demand dehumidification hooked up so you can benefit from that feature.
    It doesn't appear that the current thermostat has that feature, but I'll ask. Am I missing out on much if it doesn't?

http://www.pro1iaq.com/resources/ins...anual_t925.pdf

ODD is a feature of the air handler that slows the blower during cooling mode if the humidity is above the control setting. This skews the cooling to increase humidity removal and is handy in a steamy climate. Many high end controls do it as does the 500. I can't see that the one you have does however.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

I'm assuming this works because the lower airflow results in an overall cooler air temperature off the coil resulting in more moisture being removed from the air at the air handler.

And also because the lower airflow will take longer to cool the house, which means the system runs longer, resulting in more moisture being removed at the air handler. Thinking it through, I bet this is the bigger contributor to the dehumidification.

By the way, I love this forum!

Thanks again!