Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

How do you the employee handle this situation?

Your boss lies to you.
    Say the conversation goes like this...

Boss and you are discussing your industry. It switches from industry, to your workplace. Boss tells you how the business USED to be so good, he as making more in bonuses than he made in labor (hourly). You comment "Boy, that sure would be nice." You didn't say it in a mean tone, nor being condecending.
    The boss, hearing this, says "You guys make more a year than I do."

Now, you being of average intellegence, can add two and two. You know how much a year you bring home, and what you can afford to buy and pay for with that.

You have personally witnessed the boss take THREE vacations that cost him no less than three thousand a wack. He bought a new truck, that totaled in more than 60K. He had a bunch of work done to his home. He JUST bought a new John Deere Gator XUV that runs well over 14K. On top of that, his wife doesn't work. No income whatsoever. Doesn't even do any work for the bosses business. Your wife however, does work adding into your household income.

You know for a fact the boss is FOS. Even IF he was borrowing all that money, it still has to be paid back. You know, on your income, there is NO WAY you could make HALF those payments, let alone all of them.

So, what would you as the employee do, if your boss tried feeding you a line of s***? He wasn't joking around or anything like that. Would you just nod and think thoughts to yourslef (like I did) or would you call him out on it?

Personally, I am getting real sick and tired of just nodding and knowing what a liar he is. This is but just one example of where I am lied to constantly.

Have I ever mentioned, I can't stand a liar?

If I didn't like my job or my boss, I'd seek employment elsewhere.

He could have borrowed the money, inherited the money, or it could be savings from years that they were more profitable?

How do you think ANY business gets by during times of red ink? They either borrow it, inherit it, or drag out that sock and hope it doesn't have a hole in it.

That being said, we're probably all guilty of being "F.O.S." from time to time.....

As Eddie Murphy might say, "99% of us do it, and the other 1% are liars"....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

let's so your income tax papers pal.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    If I didn't like my job or my boss, I'd seek employment elsewhere.

He could have borrowed the money, inherited the money, or it could be savings from years that they were more profitable?

How do you think ANY business gets by during times of red ink? They either borrow it, inherit it, or drag out that sock and hope it doesn't have a hole in it.

That being said, we're probably all guilty of being "F.O.S." from time to time.....

As Eddie Murphy might say, "99% of us do it, and the other 1% are liars"....
    Ahh, come on John. You know what I mean. There is a difference between a fishing story, and having a serious conversation about business. Exaggeration is one thing. Flat out lying is another.

I know what a business must do to stay afloat John. It isn't allways busy season, and some years are good, others crap.

How many years would YOU personally operate a business in the red? Two years, three years, or six?

I know what it was all about. It was nothing but telling lies to draw for sympathy. It was all about asserting himself to make it how how "well" he thinks he treats everyone, and going without himself. That JUST isn't true. I am not saying the guy doesn't deserve to make a profit, or even that they should be somehow limited in the sake of "fairness". But I don't like being lied to and see someone draw themselves out as the pauper, when that is FAR, FAR from truth.

I can stand a little bs now and then, but the day to day bs and lies I couldn't put up with either. I'd be looking. Now is a good time with summer fast approaching. I never have had much for liars either, especially when it seems like I am being tested or something.

And are you positive he has no investments,it is not only what you make,but what you do to make more! Rich people use many ways to make money!

Often times it is true. There could be circumstances whereby he is earning les than you, but maybe from the good times in years past, his mortgage is paid, he has lots of money in the bank, nd doesnt need to make what you think he does.

Typically owners are conservative type, squirrelling money away when times are good, spending it when times go south, knowing the good times have to be coming again soon. As far as the truck goes, I also have a 60k pickup truck. It is paid for by the company and tax credits. The government allows you to write down so much per year. In other words, spend it or be taxed on it. Usually the advantage goes ot buying the new truck to relieve the tax burden on the business.

As far as him lieing to you, only you know for sure. But, I can tell you that many owners right now arent making nearly what they used to make. You need ot understand there is a balance point, whereby if you go too lean, its hard ot make any money due to overhead etc. sometimes owners will just say screw it, keep the biz going and wait for the fat checks to return. In these cases ,they NEED to have x amount of labor pushing tickets in order to keep the doors open.

If you dont feel he is treating you fairly, only you can decide if its time to go, but remember thse days, much of the landscape is just painted green with water based paint. At the first sign of rain, much of that green grass fades away quickly. go feel the grass and see if it is real in your area, or if its just time to put up withhis nonsense until times get better.

Whether you like it or not he is your boss, he is the one paying your salary. Openly disrespect the boss might only lead you to have the door hit you from behind, your boss might be one of those monitoring this site. The reality is that people whom run their own company make more money than just their yearly salary. I have worked for company in my early years where the techs had to use their own cash to pick up part for repairs, there will always be the good, the bad and the ugly and this goes the same with technicians. You know where the door is as warm as the winter we have had this year I think we will have a hell summer coming up. Rather than being not happy at your current job thinking that the boss is not treating his employees as good as you think, move on man. The opportunities will be there when 90 plus degree weather hits, I would always leave on good terms, money is one thing being happy is priceless! No company will success with disgruntled employees.

Sent from mobile device.

"Lied to constantly" is the phrase that did it for me. Freemind isn't just talking about his boss telling him what kind of money he makes. If I am reading between the lines like I think I am. I know several people like this that tell bs and lies all day long. Cant stand to be around them. It's the same as insulting my intelligence. Can shrug it off a couple of times a week but everyday, every time I see them? Cant handle it.

He might be half tellign the truth. But remember, his truck, the gator, a LOT of his expenses all get writtne off or are paid for directly by the company. SO his net profits might not be much more than your net pay. But he gets of all of us in tax breaks.

Were thsoe vacation schedule around the same time as a trade show or conference?

THe previous comment made before may also be correct His income may not be high, but his assets and new worth are far higher. He may not have a mortgage, car payment and again, gets lots of write offs.

But in the end, he is the one taking the risk associated wiht owning a business... and likely took a lot of risk when he bought or started it up.

Some people are cheap a**** too. His might be a guy that tips poorly, stays in cheap hotels, and things like that.

I know personally, once we get rid of one of our car paymetns and students loans, my wife and I will have all sorts of extra cash.

Keep in mind too, that his wife not working, means that he has essentially and extra dependant. How many kids does he have. If my wife didn't work, our tax bracket would drop. So really, she's only bringing home $0.50 on the dollar.

A LOT of things go into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    let's so your income tax papers pal.
    A business has deductions that a regular person does not.

Lots of income can be "written off" well within the tax code, without pushing the envelope.

It is quite possible that the business owner may have less reported income than an employee, and no laws are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    A business has deductions that a regular person does not.

Lots of income can be "written off" well within the tax code, without pushing the envelope.

It is quite possible that the business owner may have less reported income than an employee, and no laws are broken.
    And there's a difference between "company" property and "personal" property.

They're only the same if the company is a sole proprietorship.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Yup. And those vacations could be from buying $XXXX in equipment or some other supplier perk.

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast