What's wrong with this picture?

Trane 100 Ton condenser, discharge header, circuit B.

It's not the cap. The original was a flare cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First "guess" off the top of my head is that pressure switch doesn't have a depressor built into it and it's screwed onto a schrader valve with the core in it.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    First "guess" off the top of my head is that pressure switch doesn't have a depressor built into it and it's screwed onto a schrader valve with the core in it.
    Good guess, close, but even worse.

There are notches on the wrench flats on the one with the cap, why?

The one with the notches has no schrader valve and is waiting to surprise someone...and maybe worse yet, it's leaking?

Low pressure switch installed on discharge?
    Probably being on the discharge header, should be a manual reset, I know Trane Ipak units do not use manual resets on these since it will simply trip a diagnostic fault on the control and shut down that entire circuit anyways.
    Crappy part is there is no core, as with many manufacturers on the discharge, so need to recover charge to simply replace..PIA

Quote Originally Posted by koolkahuna View Post
    The one with the notches has no schrader valve and is waiting to surprise someone...and maybe worse yet, it's leaking?
    Ding!

That port is supposed to have the high pressure switch on it. The notches indicate it is not tapped for a core. I found out the hard way. The A circuit is the same way, and Trane used to maintain this machine. Here today cleaning up the mess. Thank god I was able to valve off the discharge header, still lost prolly 30-60 lbs....FML.

Condenser coils behind the the bank of compressors in your photo, need a good cleaning. Think were looking from the bottom up in your photo.

Seems Trane Factory Techs are just as bad out here as they are where your at. I am picking up more and more Ipak accounts than I can handle because of the call-back issues customers are having. Trane also is astronomically expensive for many customer's flavor. New account last week was a 75 tonner that Trane wanted to replace blower motor VFD...AND...blower motor. It was neither, main wiring from high voltage fuse block just below factory disconnect was not torqued and smoldering in the socket...losing a leg. Have this customer for life now.

Appreciate this thread.....I seriously been doing this a long time and never new that the slotted access was to designate a coreless port? Will be watching out for this now.

I am glad your okay. Hope you didnt get burned in a moment of panic trying to muscle the cap back on? Those valves to isolate the discharge are not easy to reach on some Ipaks...must of skinned some knees and head trying to fly in there to get those cranked.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Seems Trane Factory Techs are just as bad out here as they are where your at. I am picking up more and more Ipak accounts than I can handle because of the call-back issues customers are having. Trane also is astronomically expensive for many customer's flavor. New account last week was a 75 tonner that Trane wanted to replace blower motor VFD...AND...blower motor. It was neither, main wiring from high voltage fuse block just below factory disconnect was not torqued and smoldering in the socket...losing a leg. Have this customer for life now.

Appreciate this thread.....I seriously been doing this a long time and never new that the slotted access was to designate a coreless port? Will be watching out for this now.

I am glad your okay. Hope you didnt get burned in a moment of panic trying to muscle the cap back on? Those valves to isolate the discharge are not easy to reach on some Ipaks...must of skinned some knees and head trying to fly in there to get those cranked.
    Actually the valve was front and left of the bank of comps, just under the picture, instead of behind em like the packaged units. I was in panic mode for sure though. I had my core tool with me as I was expecting a leaky core, so I got the tool on the port and closed it off. All that came out was gas and oil foam, I was damn lucky not to get frostbit. I just reclaimed what was left, swapped the switch, pressure tested, vacd and put back in what I took out plus 30 lbs. I'm at 18 subcool (specs 14-22) I won't be able to wash the coil for a week till the water gets turned on. They were thoroughly cleaned last summer when we took over and they were plugged, what you see is a slight surface coat.

This is a remote condenser, not enough room on the roof for two packages end to end.

My nerves have just settled down, its back up and running. Now to find why the A circuit condensers are as clean as we left em last summer......ran on B all last season.