Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RCB droppings.

Must be a bad ground to that unit as well- should have been an elec arc burn/ blown breaker. Last unit that shocked me didn't have a ground all the way back to panel box.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Bracket modifier

My large pair of Knipex channel locks are great bracket modifiers.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

i see this ALL THE TIME. unbelievable. i guess people hate single hole metal strapping, self tapping screws, cordless drills, etc.
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Must be a bad ground to that unit as well- should have been an elec arc burn/ blown breaker. Last unit that shocked me didn't have a ground all the way back to panel box.
    I ran that service call over the winter, so the AC hadn't been turned on between the time the capacitor fell out of the "mount" and the time the customers neighbor noticed the unit running.

The unit has a single pole contactor so the compressor and fan motor common leads have 120v to them all the time.
    When the common terminal of the capacitor shorted to the mounting strap, it allowed a 120v current THROUGH the compressor and condenser fan motors to ground, so they both ran at half speed.
    Under those conditions the compressor and fan motors will overheat, causing them to cycle on their internal overloads, but the breaker the will not trip because there is no ground fault or over current condition.

The units cabinet and the ground conductor back to the breaker panel essentially become like a neutral wire back to the panel.

The neighbor got shocked because his hands and feet were wet, and he was standing in sloppy mud, so he was a good enough path to ground for some of the current to pass through him.
    He almost died because some lazy sack of st was to lazy to spend <1 minute to make the capacitor mounting secure.

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    My large pair of Knipex channel locks are great bracket modifiers.
    Exactly what I use!
    Loosen one mounting screw a little, pinch the bracket tight and bend it over, then tighten the screw back up.
    You could drag the unit around by the capacitor and the folded over metal won't budge.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by realcoolbreeze View Post
    No, Tucson AZ!! And it's for a church that likes to skimp out on their maintenance!
    Guess they figure if they pray the heck outta that prayer the ac will run for eternity maintenance free!!!

Boots

Quote Originally Posted by machery View Post
    I too save capacitor brackets and keep them on the truck. I also save the rubber termial boot/cover that you occasionally find on some units.
    I know a few guys that will not replace a capacitor without installing a boot on it if it didn't have one.Anybody else do this every time?
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    I know a few guys that will not replace a capacitor without installing a boot on it if it didn't have one.Anybody else do this every time?
    I really couldn't care less about the rubber boot. I'll swap the old one over to a new capacitor if there was one there, but that's it.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I was wondering why there was no burn mark on the strap.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Usually Scotch 88 is the only boot I have with me.

they don't make boots for turbo 200x!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AC5096 View Post
    Usually Scotch 88 is the only boot I have with me.
    Big money but good stuff.. In another industry, when we wanted for a splice to be protected while the 110yd wire was being dragged through the snow in -45 (that's like -48F) degree weather, that was the stuff we used. I think it cost $6 a roll or something, not sure if it went up or down now.

Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    they don't make boots for turbo 200x!!!!
    I can buy a lot of parts for the price of that jewel, and get a better markup and profit.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Just bought 2 rolls of 88 @ Johnstone. $11 a roll
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast