Hussman open face cooler problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hussman open face cooler problems

I have a hussman open faced cooler that short cycles all the time. I replaced the thermostat thinking it was defective does the same thing dropped charge and weighed in 32 oz 134a still short cycles. the only way i can get this cooler to stop short cycling is i installed a new thermostat instead of mounting it on the coil i ran it to the top of the cooler set it at 40 degrees and it seem to run fine what do you think?

It used to work right?

yes it used to work right

Is it the correct thermostat you are trying to replace it with? Also, if it's sensing coil temp and the valve is not feeding properly it's not going to work right. Fans working correctly? Honeycombs clean?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Same t-stat this is a fixed orfice so no expansion valve feeding all fans running clean evap clean condenser. i guess my question is why does this thing run on coil temp if there isnt an expansion valve why cant it run off box temp? I never understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinzHVACR View Post
    I have a hussman open faced cooler that short cycles all the time. I replaced the thermostat thinking it was defective does the same thing dropped charge and weighed in 32 oz 134a still short cycles. the only way i can get this cooler to stop short cycling is i installed a new thermostat instead of mounting it on the coil i ran it to the top of the cooler set it at 40 degrees and it seem to run fine what do you think?
    You're probably going to have coil icing problems by doing that, but it's difficult to say since you haven't told us exactly what case you have there.

From what you've said I would assume this is a self-contained vertical merchandiser likely similar to the GSVM:

http://www.hussmann.com/Installation...ls/GSVM_im.pdf

Is that it? Post the model number and we'll be much better able to help you out here.

GSVM -4072

Quote Originally Posted by HeinzHVACR View Post
    GSVM -4072
    Pretty good guess, eh?

The GSVM-4072 is designed to have a coil sensing temperature control set at 19F to 21F to maintain between 35F and 40F average case temperatures.

It the airflow has been compromised by dirty buildup, as was mentioned it may be just a matter of cleaning out the crap. If the original control was actually OK, short cycling would be a typical symptom of reduced airflow with a coil sensing t'stat.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Pretty good guess, eh?

The GSVM-4072 is designed to have a coil sensing temperature control set at 19F to 21F to maintain between 35F and 40F average case temperatures.

It the airflow has been compromised by dirty buildup, as was mentioned it may be just a matter of cleaning out the crap. If the original control was actually OK, short cycling would be a typical symptom of reduced airflow with a coil sensing t'stat.
    daaam icemeister your a beast in the refrigeration trade. ive read alot of threads and you post alot of good info,

All evaporator fans are running air flow is great I have two other units that are exactly the same in a row next to it and keeping temperature this one runs gets close to 40 degrees then shuts off then 30 seconds later it tries to come back on but it doesnt come on because it just shut off it sounds locked up until it resets after a minute or so start components are working as normal I justed checked on the unit and the thermostat that controls the box works great for now it really does the same thing because the defrost is timed and there isnt an expansion valve

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    daaam icemeister your a beast in the refrigeration trade. ive read alot of threads and you post alot of good info,
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

crackertech is offline Educational Committee/Professional Member*
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post

When I grow up I want to be just Like ice.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Check your suction pressure. May be a restricted cap tube. With coil sensing tstats, if refrigerant flow feeding the evaporator is insufficient, the section of the evap that IS cooling may @ lower temp. If the tstat is sensing that section, it will cycle off as satisfied.

"You never know what others don't know." -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast