Thread: T-stat-built-in dehumidification control?

Post Likes

T-stat-built-in dehumidification control?

I just had 2 Amana ASXC16 systems (with matched Amana variable speed furnaces) installed and want to double check what I am being told by the installer regarding the ability to help dehumidify my Houston home.

The t-stats are the CTK02 High-Definition Control which have Independent humidification control – built-in dehumidification control

In the T-stat menu system there is an option for Dehumidification Select (DEHUM) and when the installer finished it was set to off.

The installer said that he sets it to on only if I had a real dehumidifier installed along with the AC system.

From installer guide:
    Cool Set-up (SETUP)
    Dehumidification Select (DEHUM) ON or OFF (Default is OFF)
    Selecting “OFF” disables dehumidification
    selecting “ON” enables dehumidification to air conditioner only.

Is this correct or should DEHUM be set to on?

If it is set to on - how does this impact the operation of my new AC system?

Thank you for your help.

Post Likes
    I prefer to use the thermostat to control humidity, then just using the furnace boards slow ramp up profile.

Post Likes
    If the installer didn't wire the system for the dehumidification function to work, no thermostat setting will make it do so.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If the installer didn't wire the system for the dehumidification function to work, no thermostat setting will make it do so.
    I am notsure of the t'stat model number but if that is the communicating t'stat the only set up is in the t'stat not wiring. Before the communicating you need to clip a jumper but no longer.

Post Likes
    Thats a communicating thermostat.
    Goodman "comfortnet" series 2.

Dehumidification should be set to on, not off, for proper dehumidication.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    It is a communicating t-stat CTK02 Comfortnet (by White Rogers I learned when I called the 800-284-2925 on the bottom of the owners manual. The White Rogers person would answered my call had no idea what a CTK02 was and would not help me until he put me on hold and talked with someone else who explained to him the CTK02 was a White Rogers 1f95-1291 - which is wrong as the 1f95-1291 is the CTK01 big Blue square T-Stat).

I can't trust anything this person now tells me - he did not know what a CTK02 was!!!

Anyway - he asked me to pull the T-Stat off of the mounting plate and look for a "Dhm terminal" which of course there wasn't as this is a communicating system (t-stat/Furnace/Compressor) - I am guessing - there were 4 wires connected to a small terminal strip/contact plate. Non where marked Dhm-terminal.

The installer seems very professional and very nice but when I asked about the "Dehumidification Select (DEHUM) ON or OFF (Default is OFF)" he told me it is not applicable and should be in "off" unless I had a separate dehumidification system along side my brand new AC system. I hope his is wrong.

The marketing lit says 2 stage compressor - but _rap - how would a homeowner ever know? When is the compressor in low stage and high stage?

I wished there were more feedback on the screen so I would know what was happening re: stage 1 or 2 and CFM levels and dehumn mode or not!

How will I ever know if my systems are setup correctly or not?

Post Likes
    Thank you.

When the T-Stat Dehumidification Select (DEHUM) is set to "on" what does that setting tell the system to do differently that when it is set to "off" and how do I "know" it is actually working and working correctly?

100% Amana - T-stat/VS Furnace/Compressor (except Aspen Coils so that I get 13 EER - I need in Houston!)

AHRI #s 5153130 and 5202606
    ASXC160601 and ASXC160481 - outdoor units
    AMVC80905CX and AMVC80805CN - VS furnaces
    2 CB60D44 - Aspen coils

2 High-Definition Control communicating T-Stats (CTK02)

Should these combinations allow for dehumidification mode to be operational?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Before the communicating you need to clip a jumper but no longer.
    Thanks for the correction!
    When did they make the change?

New "to do list" item for the weekend: Read instructions for Goodmana's current communicating stuff.

We mostly quit Goodmana after a number of fiascoes a few years ago with some equipment that was incorrectly rated to work together, and conflicting/wrong variable speed air handler wiring/setup, but I like to keep current.
    I've been told they got their act together on shipping air handlers with correct wiring/setup instructions, and correctly programmed VS motor modules since then, so we may test the waters again...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyb View Post
    Thank you.

When the T-Stat Dehumidification Select (DEHUM) is set to "on" what does that setting tell the system to do differently that when it is set to "off" and how do I "know" it is actually working and working correctly?

100% Amana - T-stat/VS Furnace/Compressor (except Aspen Coils so that I get 13 EER - I need in Houston!)

AHRI #s 5153130 and 5202606
    ASXC160601 and ASXC160481 - outdoor units
    AMVC80905CX and AMVC80805CN - VS furnaces
    2 CB60D44 - Aspen coils

2 High-Definition Control communicating T-Stats (CTK02)

Should these combinations allow for dehumidification mode to be operational?

With the dehum turned on. it will slow the blower when the humidity is above set point. So that it removes more moisture from the air.

Post Likes

Thank you!

That is what I was hoping!

Since all the components are communicating they are designed to work together and allow for and provide a certain level of dehumidification simply by setting the "Dehumidification Select (DEHUM) ON or OFF (Default is OFF)" to on.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    With Dehum enabled on the T-Stat, as it is a communicating system, the dehum setting does effect the operation of the system.

As I now understand, the communicating system will not "run" if temp is at or below temp target just to satisfy the RH level setting. I originally thought it would.

However, when the t-Stat calls for cooling, and the humidity level is above RH target set on the T-Stat, the T-Stat slows the fan to allow for better humidity removal.

When the t-Stat calls for cooling, and the humidity level is below RH target set on the T-Stat, the T-Stat sends normal speed signal to fan.

Do I have this right?

Post Likes
    Check the installer manual. it may do over cool to dehumidify.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in