Cool A/C Water drain from bypass but water not in pan

Hi,

My A/C water drain from the bypass pipe but I do not see water in the PAN. This happens only when peak summer but not when A/C is running between 80 to 90 degree outside. I set it at 79 during hot months. I see more water in the month of June and July when texas is 100 degree.

What is the problem ? I feel the water is flowing through the normal drain pipe when I touch the pipe.

Is this because less Freon ?

Thanks
    Rav

Water draining from your condensate pan is normal. I am not sure what bypass you are refering to. The higher the outdoor humidity the more condensate will be removed. This is normal operation. Please clarify what you mean by bypass pipe or send photo. Your question doesn't indicate a problem.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Hi,

When there is a water in the PAN which is below the A/C will come through another pipe that is a secondary drain pipe because main drain is blocked. Now my problem is I don't see water in the PAN but water is coming from secondary drain pipe ? Some time I get more water I mean quantity of water coming from secondary pipe is too high. Where this water is coming from when my main drain is not blocked ?

thanks
    rav

Quote Originally Posted by rav2008 View Post
    Hi,

When there is a water in the PAN which is below the A/C will come through another pipe that is a secondary drain pipe because main drain is blocked. Now my problem is I don't see water in the PAN but water is coming from secondary drain pipe ? Some time I get more water I mean quantity of water coming from secondary pipe is too high. Where this water is coming from when my main drain is not blocked ?

thanks
    rav
    Are there 2 drain lines physically coming out of the unit itself?
    If so, is one of them piped into the drain line coming off the pan under the unit?

If this is the case, then when the main drain line from the unit becomes clogged, water will run out the secondary drain without going into the emergency drain pan.

Some of us pipe our secondary drains like that, instead of dumping it directly into the emergency drain pan, so the home doesn't end up with rust stains on the side of it.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

That's a little more clear but still leaves room for guessing.

The primary drain pan in an AC coil normally has two drain holes. One drain hole is positioned higher than the other and that higher drain hole is intended to be the secondary drain. Some companies will install the primary drain to a point where it's invisible to the customer. They will next run a secondary drain to some point where it's obnoxious to the homeowner, as a leveraged way to getting the HO to call for service. Now where the secondary drain is attached to the indoor unit may be the point of confusion. If the installers put a pipe from the higher drain hole to the secondary drain outlet and put another pipe from the overflow drip pan to the secondary drain outlet, you could be seeing water that is NOT going out the primary drain but rather has reached the level of the higher drain hole and is going out the secondary drain pipe to that obnoxious termination point. Other companies may just allow the secondary drain to drip into the overflow drip pan, which would wet the pan with water that you can see and also would allow water to drain from the secondary termination point. In other words, there are 2 drains that may or may not be tied together. Either way, if the separate, secondary drain is dripping condensate, you should be contacting your HVAC company to have a repair affected before that drain also plugs and damage results.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

does the primary drain have a trap? is it located at the AHU or is it at the end of the drain?
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech/Part Time HVAC Instructor Fortis College
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.
    Larry Flynt quote