Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksteele45 View Post
    I'm about to purchase a Goodman 16 SEER dual stage split unit and MERV 11 filter and ventilator. I buy the tools and he installs. What a bargin for him.
    LOL. Yeah he gets to practice on you

And have him join Htalk. He will learn a lot and if he ever gets in a pinch (which we all do from time to time) he can come here and ask questions. Lots of info here.

Your son is lucky, im trying to enter the field with nothing more than a set of gauges, and a few hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksteele45 View Post
    And should I get him maybe a large tote and a small one or backpack to pack stuff around?
    www.vetopropac.com

Can't comment on the truck box. I've only ever worked out of a van.

Quote Originally Posted by infwsdm View Post
    And have him join Htalk. He will learn a lot and if he ever gets in a pinch (which we all do from time to time) he can come here and ask questions. Lots of info here.

For a Ranger, I would consider a utility cap for it. I have seen them on Craigslist pretty cheap. Something with at least one side box, and a small ladder rack will give him more storage options, and the ability to carry a couple of ladders on the roof instead of in the bed taking up valuable cargo space for parts and material. Might want to consider a small trailer for carrying equipment (a high efficient outdoor unit might not even fit in the bed of a Ranger with a cross bed box). Anyway, my 2 cents.

You looking to adopt another son. I am a liittle old and weathered but I like tools.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Everything has been ordered and some things have already arrived so far:

Digi-Cool AK900 Digital refrigeration system analyzer
    Fieldpiece HS36 Expandable autoranging true RMS stick multimeter
    Fieldpiece AAV3 Air velocity & air temp head
    Fieldpiece ADMN2 Dual port manometer
    Fieldpiece ACH4 400AAC Amp Clamp
    Harris 4400161 Port-A-Torch Brazing Outfit w/Tanks
    Uniweld 40040 Sludge Sucker
    Harris Stay Silv 15
    bernzomatic cold coat thermal spray gel
    Yellow Jacket 93600 2-stage 7CFM vacuum pump
    Appion MGAVCT megaflow valve core removal tool
    Klein DK06 serrated duct knife

I still need to find some other items:

Klein 56009 navigator fiberglass 50' fish tape
    Klein 56108 poly pull line 500 Feet
    Klein 56102 15' glow rod set 3 X 5'
    combs
    utility knifes
    craftsman common tool set with screwdrivers pliers ect....
    recovery unit yellow jacket or appion maybe....
    recovery tanks
    fieldpiece scales

A micro gauge is very useful I always use mine Im not sure if the Digi cool gauges have that built in. and a flairing and swaging kit tool is very important, a scale, magnehelic and a good attitude! your a good dad!

when i was driving a ranger i was using the large aluminom packrat & the little truck handled it real well. let him pick out his own back pack. i would take a look at the veto line as it doesnt seem like the price makes much difference.

Gonna need a micron gauge. Get the Blu Vac.

a very good refrigerant leak detector and possibly a wet-bulb humidity temp Stick (testo 605-h2 been working well for me)

Humidity/wet-bulb : http://www.trutechtools.com/Testo605H2
    Refer Detector: iINFICON D-TeK Select and/or the best if you can't find it with the d-tek, H10PM http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-77...ach-h10pm.aspx

For those real pain in the ass leaks, last option, UV dye Spectroline Kit.
    http://www.spectroline.com/hvacr/hvac_faq.html
    Some people hate using it and some like it. I have had some good success with it, but use it sparingly. IF labor cost are a problem the UV dye is the best option they have i believe.

I also Agree with a Veto Pro Pac tool bag. I have a install bag (large), service bag(smaller), and a bag for measurement tools, temp, meters, amp probes and all other expensive electronic test instruments. They are a great company to deal with. I am rough on my tools an this bag has been the only one that could handle my punishment. You want to protect all your expensive tools and have them neat and easily accountable. I was involved with the testing and development of the HVAC specific bag. I wish all companies that make HVAC related products would work with people that actually work in the field when they are in development of products.
    Last edited by Nytefog; 03-29-2012 at 07:50 PM.

I have a tubing bender kit and a flaring kit. I just built and replaced all his brake lines from the front to the back. Was simple once we removed the bed.

Micro gauge? What is that used for?

Johnstone supply's is having a grand opening/open house here in Jacksonville on 10 April. I have already talked to them and they told me that they will be offering tools and equipment at a discount to new HVAC students. I think we will go and I will see if I can pick up the rest then.

Thank you for all the input and assistance

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast