Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leak detector recommendations?

In the market for a leak detector. Recently purchased an Inficon Whisper but am very unhappy with it. Bought it since its ultrasonic but it wont pick up ANY leaks. had 2 that i missed that I found with a normal leak detector. Also liked that since its ultrasonic it will do gas but apparently it wont find any leak. anyone got an recommendations on a good leak detector?

It depends on what refrigerants you're working with, but for most CFCs and HCFCs, H10G is as good as they come. I don't know how well it will work with HFCs such as R-134a and R-410a yet. Maybe someone who is in the know can chime in on that.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    It depends on what refrigerants you're working with, but for most CFCs and HCFCs, H10G is as good as they come. I don't know how well it will work with HFCs such as R-134a and R-410a yet. Maybe someone who is in the know can chime in on that.
    The H-10 is as good as they come.

I was turning into a believer in the D-tek until recently when I had 2 of them miss 2 pretty large leaks.

The H-10 found them immediately.

It works on all refrigerants, but you have to turn the sensitivity up for HFCs

I was looking at the D-TEK Select does anyone use that one and can comment on it's reliability? Will be used mostly on R410a and R22 residential and light commercial systems.

H-10G, I gather there are multiple brands judging from googling...are you guys referring to any particular brand?
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

I'll always stick with the H10G.

Johnson Controls, Penn, Yokogawa, Bacharach... They're all the same, I believe. Personally, I have a Bacharach version. Stay away from the H-10PM, though. I hear that one's a real P.O.S.

-Thomas Jefferson

Inficon compass has worked well for me.
    II Chronicles 7:14 Galatians 2:20 Ephesians 2:8-9

Johnson Controls, Penn, Yokogawa, Bacharach... They're all the same, I believe. Personally, I have a Bacharach version. Stay away from the H-10PM, though. I hear that one's a real P.O.S.
    Them's fightin words, partner.

There is NO difference between the H-10G and the H-10PM except for the battery.

Both are incredibly sensitive and the H-10PM that I have has a sensor heat calibration feature that allows you to be 100% certain that the sensor is adjusted properly before you begin.

Oh, no. My mistake. It was actually the H-10X I was thinking of. I work with a guy who uses a PM... I have always wondered about the accuracy being dragged down as the batteries discharge. I wonder what kind of circuitry they have in place to prevent that?

-Thomas Jefferson

Well I ordered a couple of cheaper detectors off Johnstone today had an old reliable TIF break not long ago. We may step up to something better if these don't satisfy.

Trying the Inficon Tek-Mate and TIF XL-1A
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Tif ZX-1 or H10.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Oh, no. My mistake. It was actually the H-10X I was thinking of. I work with a guy who uses a PM... I have always wondered about the accuracy being dragged down as the batteries discharge. I wonder what kind of circuitry they have in place to prevent that?
    I've not noticed a difference.

Once the battery light comes on, shut it down, it's useless.

dont give up on the ultrasonic. there is a learning curve to using
    an ultra sonic but when you master it it is a good unit.
    i use the vpe & have had real good success rate with it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast