Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    I'm posting in two different threads on performance pay, so it's hard to keep up with what's been posted where.....

I firmly believe that it can be EASIER to sell repairs and upgrades on a PM, than it is a demand call.

The type of person who buys maintenance agreements are more often the type of people who actually APPRECIATE good, preventive services and the opportunity to upgrade.

On the other hand....those who DON'T buy maintenance agreements will let it run til it breaks.....and often see you as the enemy if you offer any preventive care or upgrades.

When are you most receptive.....When you're taking preventive measures, or when you're back is against the wall because something's broke?
    To be honest. I don't do too bad making money on PM's. And most of the people who want them done. Would like to have a new unit. But, can't afford it and just want to keep what they have now, running for as long as possible. I find lots of issues like low refer charge, burnt disconnects, melted spade terminals, excessive bearing play in condensor fan motors, Compressors running with a dead run cap because it's got a PTC starter, ect.... It's the next season that they call me out, is what i truly hate as everything that could be done was already did! Serious, i got this old man that calls for PM twice a year. WTF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Serious, i got this old man that calls for PM twice a year. WTF!!!
    And you know what? There's nothing wrong with it. Because, what you're selling them is Peace of Mind.

We all do it as a normal part of life....but we often don't realize it.

If they want to pay you to come out once a month, for their peace of mind, then that's their money and their business......Now, if you tell them that if they don't have it checked monthly, terrrrrrrible things will happen, that's a different story....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

And you know what? There's nothing wrong with it. Because, what you're selling them is Peace of Mind.

We all do it as a normal part of life....but we often don't realize it.

If they want to pay you to come out once a month, for their peace of mind, then that's their money and their business......Now, if you tell them that if they don't have it checked monthly, terrrrrrrible things will happen, that's a different story....
    I know and when it is time for them to buy a new unit. Guess who they're calling? Us!!!

to answer the OP question, if you are fielded the calls, you can do well. don't begin the call with the end in mind ($). you don't have to be a thief. I have been working commission for about 3 1/2 years. i do not sell many systems and always communicate with the customer what it is they are going to need to make a repair. I don't sell leaf guards or uv lights to make a buck. I actually quit and went to a family run business after 1.5 yrs. and it wasn't for me. I was asked back to the commission company and accepted. it isn't all that bad. management knows they can depend on me on crappy calls that need a level of maturity that all our techs aren't able to grasp. Turnover is high, we get a lot of flash in the pan guys who sell sell sell and get a lot of attention. I just do what I know to be right and still earn about 1.5 times what i can earn hourly in my non union area.
    I know the rut of small co's like JM (6 employee's) can be a drag for some, but I am sure that he has happy employees too. It just is what you are geared to do. My preference is a bit of a chaotic workplace and when the work is done, i go home. don't want to loom around waiting till 5 so i can get my 40. that's just me. today I made more in tips from PM's then I did on the clock. I gave nothing away, and was told as i often am, nobody ever showed me that before. granted, I worked in an area of NorthFlorida called Palm Coast and it is loaded with NY'ers who almost always tip. Good Luck.

So what is the average sales your best tech generates annually? Daily? Weekly?? How about the average tech? What are your averages JWB ??

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    So what is the average sales your best tech generates annually? Daily? Weekly?? How about the average tech? What are your averages JWB ??
    Our "goal" is $1000 per day, per guy on the street. 4 guys on the street comes out to right $1 mil per year in combined sales, which is our company goal and a goal that has been previously attained.

I made a few rough calculations and if your guys are making 60k a year and generating 250k that comes out to a 24% commission rate..

I made a few rough calculations and if your guys are making 60k a year and generating 250k that comes out to a 24% commission rate..
    I've never had anyone on pure commission. I'm looking at it, but will likely wind up with a hybrid of base plus commission.

It really varies. We have had a very mild winter, almost no service work, tons of maintenance calls and there are ideas about what you should average on those. I don't have a clue if I meet them or not, that being said, in this market there are very senior guys in residential who can't make $25 an hour, that can come to this type of pay and do well. In other words get a raise, annually. I did. I have never had a performance review but my bosses always push for more. I am kinda burned out on the whole thing and don't try to lead customers into big ticket purchases that are optional.
    Previously I worked for a very small co. and had a steady paycheck. The first time I hit $1100 take home in a week I was in for about four weeks. But now I get a lot of BS calls that need someone who will take their time and not just parts change, that plagues these companies. I barely get paid to fix what someone else messed up and the customer is left kinda holding the short end of the stick.
    I work here because my old boss couldn't write a paycheck to me anymore and I needed a job. I only had about 2 years experiance and now am just over 5. I probably would quit tomorrow to go to a good reputable company as long as I don't have to rob people and I get to use my brain I will work 15 hours a day.

Tell me more detail in a PM

I've never had anyone on pure commission. I'm looking at it, but will likely wind up with a hybrid of base plus commission.
    you would do good to go that route. it covers the tech for reasons beyond their control. ( like jobs where people call just to get estimates , then have the tech find the problem just to have "uncle Joe" come fix it)

It will help you by motivating the techs to "up-sell" and generate otherwise lost revenues.

catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Our "goal" is $1000 per day, per guy on the street. 4 guys on the street comes out to right $1 mil per year in combined sales, which is our company goal and a goal that has been previously attained.

money is your only motivator, you're in for a long and miserable life. money is your only motivator, no matter how much you make, it will never be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    money is your only motivator, you're in for a long and miserable life. money is your only motivator, no matter how much you make, it will never be enough.

I seem to remember the guy you quoted, as telling ME that very same thing.

Funny how one guy can spew "words of wisdom" to me, but can't follow his own advice.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast